Logitech harmony 880 remote (1 Viewer)

larryblennjr

December 7, 2005
I have a nice Logitech Harmony 880 remote but I am not able to make it work with MP. Does anyone have any suggestions or maybe another similar remote that might work? I know the Harmony is capable of controlling most anything so there has to be a way to make the thing work.

gadu^

Portal Member
May 16, 2005
isn't programmable? If yes, then you could borrow a MCE remote and copy the commands to the Harmony remote... dunno if it works though... :oops:

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    Have you tired adding a new device based on a media center pc? All of the MCE remotes use the same IR code set so you should be able to add a new device based on any MCE pc. I used the HP zv555 (I think that's the model number) and the 880 works great with MP.

Steve

mcse

Portal Member
    December 7, 2005
    Hey

This is how i got it working.

Buy a Microsoft MCE 2005 remote control. Its really cheap (around $35) and it comes with a very nice IR reciever. Connect the IR reciever to your Mediaportal PC and setup Mediaportal to use a Microsoft MCE 2005 remote control.

When configuring your Logitech Harmony, add a Media Center PC under your devices in the websetup. After that you can use either the Harmony or the MS remote both work great. No need to program any buttons at all on the harmony, the default ones work great.

I know it feels weird to buy another remote control but at that price its worth buying it just to get your hands on the good IR reciever.

/mc

dpirs

Portal Member
    July 5, 2005
    I was using the harmony remote without MCE receiver, but I had to do a somewhat complicated configuration with girder.

If you wan't to avoid that, it is easier to purchase the MCE receiver.

mcse

Portal Member
    December 7, 2005
    Here is a pic of the kit i got (only for the reciever)

msoemremrec.jpg

No need for girder with this reciever. Just plug it in to a free USB port. No drivers, no hassle.

Payed $47 for it @ my local pc store. I noticed that today they changed the deal. They wont let you buy the remote unless you also buy a PC bundled with MCE 2005 on it. I guess Microsoft dont like that there is free software out there like Mediaportal that does the stuff better than their HTPC os.
    :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom