Long Pause before movie starts (1 Viewer)

leftfield

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 23, 2008
    For some reason I seem to get a one to two minute delay before a movie starts playing when I use Moving Pictures. I don't get the same behaviour when playing the same movie files directly from the standard MP Player. Seems to happen with any media file types.

I thought it was related to the intro movie I'd tried to configure previously but I've removed this without any change in the behaviour.

I've attached log files, please let me know if there's any other relevant logs required. I believe I'm on the latest version of both MP & Moving Pictures. On the attached files the delay is from 17.48 & 17.51.

As usual any help would be greatly appreciated.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Just left message to MediaInfo developer that his test version that limits B-Frame detection works, and a 121sec delay on my test file went down to 2 seconds.

Support for this has to be coded into MediaPortal, MovingPictures and MP-TVSeries, so please be a little bit more patient for a permanent solution.

leftfield

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 23, 2008

I didn't see an improvement from this unfortunately. I have however noticed that it only happens on the first file that is played. Every subsequent file then starts straightaway. Close MP again and restart and then the first file will take an age again.

I appreciate the simple answer is don't close MP however given that to run the configurator MP has to be shut down it is still a problem.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The workaround is based on v0.7.26, did u try the new DLL from the link posted above?

Otherwise the only way a developer is going to be able to locate a problem is if you can pin it down to an exact step-by-step procedure that will work for everybody to recreate the problem. See the problem is you might have some older plugin, or bad configuration option set on OS that causes this problem. This makes it impossible to recreate and therefore fix, unless you spent the time to find the cause.

Try for example to disable all the plugins that are not required, mess around with some options, and once you got a situation that the problem doesn't happen with, then slowly re-enable things one at a time until problem re-appears, that should narrow it down nicely.

wolferl99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    sounds exactly like the problem I had. the guilty party in my case were 2 strange media files, that got 'inspected' during MP startup and stopped all access to my NAS device. It took 5 minutes for that to time out and I couldnt access any data on the NAS for these 5 minutes during startup. I found it by watching the 'open files' on my NAS (unRAID). Not sure, if you could do the same, but from the movingpicture log it seems that:

MediaInfoWrapper: inspecting media : Z:\Hellboy_II_The_Golden_Army\title00.mkv

takes very long to be inspected. try moving that out of the watched folder and see if that changes the behavior.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    sounds exactly like the problem I had. the guilty party in my case were 2 strange media files, that got 'inspected' during MP startup and stopped all access to my NAS device. It took 5 minutes for that to time out and I couldnt access any data on the NAS for these 5 minutes during startup. I found it by watching the 'open files' on my NAS (unRAID). Not sure, if you could do the same, but from the movingpicture log it seems that:

takes very long to be inspected. try moving that out of the watched folder and see if that changes the behavior.

How large is that file, if it's small enough sign up at SourceForge and submit a bug at MediaInfo section. The developers will give you a temporary FTP account so you can upload the problem file, so they can fix it.

But before you do, load the file up in MediaInfo GUI first to make sure that the problem is indeed in MediaInfo and not some other conflict.

leftfield

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 23, 2008
    from the movingpicture log it seems that:

Bang on. Moved it out and everything is perfect now.

How large is that file, if it's small enough sign up at SourceForge and submit a bug at MediaInfo section. The developers will give you a temporary FTP account so you can upload the problem file, so they can fix it.

I'm afraid it's 11Gb. Perhaps someone else has seen the same behaviour with a smaller file. Anyone?

Thanks to both of you for all the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom