Longtime MP user thinking of an XBMC switch. Current MP questions. (1 Viewer)

asr10 user

Portal Member
April 7, 2010
Can anyone with the newest MP help me out. My HTPC is kinda slow and is running 1.1.3. I am looking at a new build 100% for either MP or Xbmc. I am a longtime MP user, but played with the newest XBMC a bit for my laptop.

Like most MP users, I feel like I know MP in and out since we have to do so much tweaking to get it how we want it. But my first impressions of the new XBMC are positive. But still seems like how its always been. XBMC blows MP away in the UI department but MP is still much more powerful mostly due to the MP config and plugin program.

XBMC did have some cool features that I wonder if the newer MP's have. Does MP have the following:

1. Quick trailers for the movie you are thinking of selecting? Basically when scrolling through your library in xbmc, you can click one button and watch a trailer from apple for that movie. Pretty awesome, can MP do this? And how many clicks to get to it?

2. Mycinemaexperience plugin, pretty awesome. Basically you can set this plugin to show different intros, trailers from the web, and images before a movie starts. Like a custom intro from a file, a couple images (turn off cell phones) then some trailers from upcoming movies from the web. This might be the main reason I switch. Anything comparable in MP? I know you can set custom intros which is cool, but how about trailers also?

kilik360

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2010
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    1- yes, movingpictures offers the trailer button
    2- never heard of

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. Quick trailers for the movie you are thinking of selecting? Basically when scrolling through your library in xbmc, you can click one button and watch a trailer from apple for that movie. Pretty awesome, can MP do this? And how many clicks to get to it?

You can get Trailers for the Movies via OnlineVideos Plugin. (from IMDb / iTunes / Youtube... depending on your skin)
    I use MovingPictures + OnlineVideos getting Trailers from IMDb. (see screenshots)
    trailer.jpgtrailer1.jpg

If you use MyFilms.. check this: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_.../3_Plugins/My_Films/3_Using_My_Films/Trailers

2. Mycinemaexperience plugin, pretty awesome. Basically you can set this plugin to show different intros, trailers from the web, and images before a movie starts. Like a custom intro from a file, a couple images (turn off cell phones) then some trailers from upcoming movies from the web. This might be the main reason I switch. Anything comparable in MP? I know you can set custom intros which is cool, but how about trailers also?

You can set up Custom Intros (depending on audio format, video format etc... of the movie) with MovingPictures. For infos. see: http://moving-pictures.tv/wiki/Custom_Introduction_Videos

asr10 user

Portal Member
    April 7, 2010
    Thanks. The trailers look like exactly what I want. I do use the custom intros in Moving Pictures and its great, but not exactly what I would like.

I did however just check out the upcoming Titan skin and it looks awesome. I think I am staying with MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom