Looking for a Windows Media Centre style skin (1 Viewer)

simonjp

Portal Member
May 27, 2012
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Yes, you read that title correctly, I am looking for a skin that is compatible with MP1.4 but also looks and feels like Windows Media Centre. Why oh why you ask!!! Simple really, my HTPC is used by all the family, from my 6 and 12 year olds to myself and my wife. I've been toying with switching to MP but whenever I try the complaints start rolling in.....where is everything? why can't I do this, or that, urrgghh that screen looks terrible.....and so on. You got it.....change is not good when it comes to using the media centre.

Anyway, I have seen that Maya looks extremely close to WMC and I could probably get away with using this but it doesn't look like its compatible and development appears to have stopped on it. I don't want to install it if it's going to break my HTPC, so thought I'd post here and see if there any others in the works, or if anyone knows if it's stable on 1.4 (yes, I've looked at the Skins section).

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope there is something out there that would tempt me and the family over to MP as WMC is creaking at the seams (slow, unreliable....but....they all know how to navigate it).

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    EDIT: Opps already posted :p

Maya Skin. We are still waiting on an update for MP 1.4, but if you are running MP 1.3 it is a very nice skin, well polished + design is very similar to MCE.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mayahd-1-1-0-0-beta-16-07-2012-for-mp-1-3-x.109512/

Not sure if the version on github works with MP 1.4 or not (it is probably a work in progress)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/17_Extensions/4_Skins/MayaHD/Git

@dlarge500 has been working (solo i think and in-between working on Titan as well!) on either Avalon or MayaHD to bring it up to date for 1.4/1.5, so he might be able to give a little update.

basichome_fanart-jpg.107294

myfilms_listview-jpg.107298

Last edited:

simonjp

Portal Member
    May 27, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks very much for the pointers, it definitely looks clean and WMC'ish which should pass the Wife and Kids test.

I've removed MP1.4 and reinstalled 1.3 and tried installing the MayaHD skin but it fails to install so I think I need to revert to a manual install according to some of the posters in that thread.

simonjp

Portal Member
    May 27, 2012
    Home Country
    I struggled with the install for 1.3 so I'll wait for the official 1.4 release. However, the DefaultWide skin seems to be ok for everyone so running with that for now.....another convert joining the ranks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom