Looking for MediaPortal reviews & articles (1 Viewer)

semichco

Portal Member
July 23, 2007
Home Country
October 2007 Edition of PC User in Australia has a Media Center Mega Guide - Media Portal gets a mention as a freeware alternative to Media Center. It also has a half page dedicated to setup of a tv tuner in media portal.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Should that be added to the Awards section on the hompage?

Or instead of an awards section - maybe a "read about MP here" section with links or pdfs for each article (and icon for the magazine, blog, online article) that mentions MP in a positive light?

semichco

Portal Member
    July 23, 2007
    Home Country
    No award is given by the magazine so i dont think it should be put in the awards section but your second idea may be useful.

milhouse

Portal Pro
    November 9, 2006
    Raleigh, NC U.S.
    Home Country
    CNET just had an article about "ten open-source alternatives you need". MP was the second item listed (page 3).
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49294100,00.htm#

Paid-for version: Microsoft Windows Media Centre
    Open-source alternative: MediaPortal

MediaPortal is an open-source alternative to Microsoft's Media Centre and offers PVR functionality as well as management of all your videos, photos, music and radio stations. It runs on Windows and has the ability to display RSS feeds and weather information. The attractive GUI can be re-skinned with loads of free and professional-looking skins and a vast array of plugins written by the community extend functionality in loads of ways.

The Good: It's an extremely easy piece of software to use and looks and feels just like Windows Media Centre. For use as a living-room PVR and a media handler it's superb. More advanced users will appreciate the many layers of customisability offered, too. High-definition content is fully compatible as long as your PC is up to the job, so wiring your box up to that shiny new HDTV will be no problem.

The Bad: The software suffers a few bugs that could be something of a hurdle for newbies. It's in the advanced pre-release stages, meaning the team developing it hasn't deemed it suitable for general release, but it's well on its way. More tech-savvy users will work around any bugs they uncover, but technophobes may want to stick to Media Centre until a final release has been made.

Conclusion: MediaPortal is ideal for anyone who isn't afraid of looking at a program's preferences screen. If looking at settings confuses and scared you into a dark corner, stick with Microsoft's Media Centre for now. Otherwise, go grab yourself MediaPortal, because it's bloody marvellous.

etheesdad

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2008
    Adelaide
    lifehacker's top 5 media centre applications

I was interested to get an invite yesterday from LH to vote on best HTPC software, but then when I saw the options very disappointed to see that MP was *not* listed in the 5 choices, but only given "honorable mention" (see text under Vote box). Dont know why it was set up like this - a number of people (including me!) commented on the omission in the discussion thread.

Hive Five: Five Best Media Center Applications

XBMC and Boxee came out on top, with Windows MCE placing third.

Its kind of a mickey mouse methodology as a lot of people using windows would only have used WMC and a lot of MAC owners will only have used Boxee, so the results arent all that meaningful. (ie what this shows is "what media centre applications LH readers use", /not/ "5 best MC applications" as the title imples.

Just thought Id post the article because it would be interesting to know more about why the author, Adam Pash Adam Pash's Activity omitted Mediaportal and relegated it to the subtext of the article...

Perhaps if someone from Team-MP contacted him, he might be able to place it as a contender next time a poll like this is run, or for a mention in his blog maybe...?

In any case it would be interesting to know why MP was placed below pay-for use application Sagetv ($60) and the venerable XBMC which is a great media client but doesnt have the TV capabilities that MP does....

cfaslave

Portal Member
    July 24, 2006
    I posted a short news article on the 1.0 release of MediaPortal on GeekTonic.
    GeekTonic: MediaPortal Leaves Beta - 1.0 Arrives

And as an added bonus it was picked up by Lifehacker with some pretty favorable coverage as well.
    Featured Windows Download: MediaPortal 1.0 Released, Brings Open-Source DVR to Windows

Another link at DownloadSquad:
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/12/24/media-portal-home-theater-pc-app-for-windows-hits-1-0/

I'm hoping to do a review on MediaPortal later this year on GeekTonic, but if any more experienced MP users would like to submit a guest article on using MediaPortal, nice plugins for MediaPortal etc let me know.

aidbish

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2007
    righthandside 3/4 way up
    Well done cfslave,
    the MP community in general needs to get the word out whereever possible to any forums/blogs/anywhere they frequent about the wonders of MediaPortal
    only then will the masses arrive and experience this great piece of software.

Adrian

tonyscha

Portal Pro
    May 2, 2007
    Iowa
    Home Country
    I was interested to get an invite yesterday from LH to vote on best HTPC software, but then when I saw the options very disappointed to see that MP was *not* listed in the 5 choices, but only given "honorable mention" (see text under Vote box). Dont know why it was set up like this - a number of people (including me!) commented on the omission in the discussion thread.

Hive Five: Five Best Media Center Applications

XBMC and Boxee came out on top, with Windows MCE placing third.

Its kind of a mickey mouse methodology as a lot of people using windows would only have used WMC and a lot of MAC owners will only have used Boxee, so the results arent all that meaningful. (ie what this shows is "what media centre applications LH readers use", /not/ "5 best MC applications" as the title imples.

Just thought Id post the article because it would be interesting to know more about why the author, Adam Pash Adam Pash's Activity omitted Mediaportal and relegated it to the subtext of the article...

Perhaps if someone from Team-MP contacted him, he might be able to place it as a contender next time a poll like this is run, or for a mention in his blog maybe...?

In any case it would be interesting to know why MP was placed below pay-for use application Sagetv ($60) and the venerable XBMC which is a great media client but doesnt have the TV capabilities that MP does....

I seen this article, and was also surprised they didnt mention mediaportal, I cant remember if I commented in the comments about WHERE IS MEDIAPORTAL or not. hehe. I think it needs to get the word out more.. but how does one do that?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When MP1.0 came out, team-mediaportal sent out emails to every editor we could find, funny enough i did cnet.com (US site) and it ended up only getting reviewed only on the cnet.co.uk website, could not find anything relating to MP on the main site, mind you have not looked recently, so might be there as well now.

Unfortunately without any American developers, our US support is a bit limited, would be nice if a couple of citizens with the knowledge we need stepped forward :)

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom