Looking for MediaPortal reviews & articles (1 Viewer)

cfaslave

Portal Member
July 24, 2006
Suresh who is a big fan of MediaPortal did a "open-house" showing his HTPC setup and Home Theater setup as well as a detailed description of how he uses MediaPortal. Read the full write-up with photos at GeekTonic:
GeekTonic: Media Gadget Showcase - Suresh's Home Theater and HTPC

If anyone else would like to submit their setup or even write a guest article about MediaPortal let me know - I'm always looking for new HTPC guest writers at GeekTonic!

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Suresh who is a big fan of MediaPortal did a "open-house" showing his HTPC setup and Home Theater setup as well as a detailed description of how he uses MediaPortal. Read the full write-up with photos at GeekTonic:

If anyone else would like to submit their setup or even write a guest article about MediaPortal let me know - I'm always looking for new HTPC guest writers at GeekTonic!

Read this review, "I use both Vista MediaCenter and Mediaportal for my needs. After tinkering around with Mediaportal to get my DVR working and wasting a ton of time, I decided to stick with Vista MCE for my DVR needs as it is so easy. Microsoft has made such a wonderful product… it is just amazing. All you need to do it hookup the cables, put in your zip code, select your provider and viola…. EPG is downloaded automatically and everything is taken care within like 30mts. Nothing to beat Vista MCE in terms of DVR functionality, ease of setup and ease of use."

Will this change? I have to say I agree, it is a pain to get the same functionality from MP as MCE. I have posted a zillion times how do I setup MP to record NEW shows not RERUNS and mostly received a deafening silence. You can't say this is the HTPC Solution if it cannot record only new episodes like MCE. (I am sure there is someway to do it but I bet it would take a NASA Engineer to figure it out lol).:D:confused:
    I am just trying to be real here, this is the coolest product and my jaw dropped when I saw that it could do all it could but not something so simple :eek::eek::eek:

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    how do I setup MP to record NEW shows not RERUNS and mostly received a deafening silence. You can't say this is the HTPC Solution if it cannot record only new episodes like MCE. (I am sure there is someway to do it but I bet it would take a NASA Engineer to figure it out lol).:D:confused:

This is where MS has a distinct advantage. This is dependant on the EPG flagging repeats / series etc. MS pays someone to provide their EPG data which obviously MP can not. If you can get the quality EPG data then MP does have the ability to only record new episodes but this relies on the series / episode info being available in the EPG

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country

Awesome! I am pulling from imdb.com using a guide i found here. I am lost as to what to do to only record new stuff though. Can you help?
    Microsoft gets it from zap2it.com I wonder can I pull the guide from there?

Help? If what you say is true then I think this will be an easy fix. THANKS

jimsing59

December 18, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Home Country
    If it's like Myth-TV in the setup, I will never get it to work and I am an intermediate user. I have never worked with databases and don't jump through hoops anymore to configure software. European software in general is not known to be user-friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom