Looking for suitable mainboard AM2 (1 Viewer)

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
you are spending about 300euros an a case but you are squeezing the diam when it comes to the motherboard? dude i thought i was bad at math :D

but if you dont want an ati/amd bases motherboard then the nvidia nforce 630 based motherboards will satify you. most motherboards in this price and formfactor category have an onboard graphics card which doesnt force you to use it.

afaik you still need an extra sound card. the ati cards simply patch the audio signal through. in addition to a soundcard (since its a digital signal you can stick with the onboard sollution) you need a cable from an internal spdif port to your soundcard. if you dont want to spend 5 euros an an adaptor there are plenty of how tos how to build one of your own by using an old cd-rom audio cable.

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
you are spending about 300euros an a case but you are squeezing the diam when it comes to the motherboard? dude i thought i was bad at math :D

but if you dont want an ati/amd bases motherboard then the nvidia nforce 630 based motherboards will satify you. most motherboards in this price and formfactor category have an onboard graphics card which doesnt force you to use it.

afaik you still need an extra sound card. the ati cards simply patch the audio signal through. in addition to a soundcard (since its a digital signal you can stick with the onboard sollution) you need a cable from an internal spdif port to your soundcard. if you dont want to spend 5 euros an an adaptor there are plenty of how tos how to build one of your own by using an old cd-rom audio cable.

you have agerman flag and you continue speaking english with me?
if you can speak german i would suggest to switch to german. just let me know if you intend to continue communicating with me ;)

back to my topic:
i was wondering to buy the ASUS M2A-VM 690G board without HDMI. the price differerence is actually "huge" and therefore i was wondering whether i would need the onboard hdmi if i am going to use a dedicated graphics card anyway... so is it necessary to have onboard hdmi?

regarding the sound card issue, as i already stated in my thread, the graphics card i intend to buy has integrated audiocontroller, so what do i need the dedicated soundcard for? furthermore, there is also a decent onboard sound by realtek if i remember correctly (at least on the gigabyte board). also, where do i find the internal spdif port, is it onboard available? i am currently intending to buy the Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, 690G.

regarding my 300€ case. i like design and i am willing to pay for it but what i am not willing to pay for is obsolete hardware ;)...

hope to hear from you soon.

best,

Kian

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
ich wollte halt die anderen forenmitglieder nicht ausschließen. kann ja nicht jeder die muttersprache des tollsten landes der welt ;)

die sache mit der grafikkarte is die, dass die ati grafikkarten keine richtige soundkarte drinne haben, sondern soweit ich das recht versatanden habe (vorsicht halbwissen) nur so viel soundkarte, wie sie brauchen, um den ton, den sie über den internen digitalausgang einer soundkarte kriegen, über den hdmi zu bringen. deshalb hat zum beispiel auch mein asrock motherboard so nen kabel dabei gehabt. im zweifel hast du ja eh ne onboard soundkarte.

der preisunterschied zwischen dem m2a mit und ohne hdmi is grad mal 8euro. die könnte ich dir ja sogar als armer student spenden. ob du jetzt die version mit oder ohne hdmi nimmst is im endeffekt natürlich latte.

das gehäuse is so ne sache, dein anspruch auf gutes design kann ich absolut nachempfinden, weshalb auch bald bei mir wieder die stichsäge und feile in die hand genommen wird und ein schöner selbstbau entsteht. wieso muss es eigentlich ein gehäuse mit display sein? kann mir jetzt nicht so wirklich vorstellen, dass man das so häufig braucht, selbst wenn es ein touchscreen hat.

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
lol, dachte du hast mir ne pn geschrieben weswegen ich mich gewundert hatte dass du nicht deutsch mit mir sprichst ;)
so lets switch back to english:
i would require the display for operating th htpc without the tv. actually, i was hoping the display would show me the current mp3/music file running when i only intend to listen to music. i have no idea how this should work but i thought this is actually the use of the display ;).

touchscreen was no option for as it wouldnt be used.

so what is the final verdict anyway?
asus or gigabyte?

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
i hope you realised that the s16v only has a monochrome vf display instead of the s16t that comes with a 7" tft. at least according to origen ae its only good for showing the time and id tags or titles. if i was you that wouldnt be worth 300euros to me. i would either buy a case with a proper tft or none at all. either way the difference is about 150euros.

Kian

Portal Pro
January 29, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
SwingSultan
i know all that. and now you just managed to change my mind ;)
i mean you are right that a vfd does not justify paying 300€ but the desing is convincing and the height of the case also is fine for upgrading or using "tall" hardware...

because of you, i started to look at alternatives and my current concern is the noise of the cases. the origenae cases or at least the s16v appears to be robust and does not seem to easily vibrate or make noises...

do you have any alternative cases for me? i just looked at the silverstone gd02b and this seems quiet nice. any reviews on this one? in general, though, i am looking for a "pure" design, i.e. a case without thousand buttons on the front, a simple on/off button would suffice...

SwingSultan

Portal Pro
July 5, 2007
Home Country
Germany Germany
a good source to look around for germans is http://www.caseking.de lian li is also a very good case manufacturer with excellent internal and external design. that means no windows, flashing fans and all that cheap crap golf tuners would adore :D but caseking is not cheapest source for hardware. for the purchase i would look at Preisvergleich Geizhals.at Deutschland . the hp itself is from austria but as the url suggests they have an equally good section for the german market.

my problem with the lian li htpc cases is that the beautiful ones have 2 bezels for optical drives. i wouldnt want a bezel and an eject button for an optical drive that doesnt exsist. i find it quite hard to find a decent cast with a good design that has only one space for an dvd drive.

the gd02b looks good. im getting a bit paranoid with the sides of the case. since they look like swiss cheese with square holes i dont think that the case helps to prevent unnecessary noise. a good alternative might be the x10 by origenae. if you dont mind the empty panel for the vf display and the ir reciever.

the origen ae cases really are well build but 5mm thick external plating is a bit overkill. lian li "only" uses 2mm thick aluminum and its mighty fine. if you select yout powersupply and fans right you shouldnt have any problems to build an almost inaudiable pc.

edit:

a good way to reduce noise is to change the cpu to an athlon x2-be 2400. those are the same cpus (same performance at the same clockspeed) as the normal x2 but they are preselected to run at lower voltage and therefore produce less heat than their regular x2 brothers. as cpu cooler i would recommend something like a scyte mugen. in theory you could run the x2-be without a fan using that cooler depending on the case and airflow. by attaching a low noise fan like the noctua nf-p12 to the heat sink at 5 or 7v you shouldnt have any problems even on hot summer days. as 80mm case fan i would either use the nf-r8 series by noctua (at 5 or 7v) or the sharkoon silent eagle 1000. the sharkoon fans are extremely silent but have a very limited airflow but are almost inaudiable even at 12v. the noctua and sharkoon fans both come with rubber decouplers and at leat 7v adaptors (the noctua with 5v too due to their higher airflow). the noctua fans should give you the the opportunity to find the right balance between noise and cooling. if you want even more fine tuning than you should additionally buy zalman fanmates which let you adjust the fan voltage stagelessly. if you ask yourself how a single individual can write that much about fans the anwear is that my gaming an work machine is watercooled. therefore i always fight the neverending battle with the "loudest" component :D right now my eheim water pump and my samsung spinpoint hdd are my worst enemys :D thats also a reason why im planning a selfmade case at the moment. the "prototype" to find general problems with manufacturing etc, will most defenetly be my htpc since it was build by cheap and or leftover hardware ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom