Loose video and sometimes MP crashes while playing video and switching tv inputs. (1 Viewer)

mrceolla

Portal Pro
December 11, 2010
MediaPortal Version: 1.2 RC
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP
Windows Version: Win 7
CPU Type: Xeon
HDD:
Memory: 10GB
Motherboard:
Video Card: 7950 GT
Video Card Driver: Latest
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: Sony KD-34XBR960
TV - HTPC Connection: DVI to HDMI video only

So the subject says it all.

I loose video and sometimes MP crashes while MP is playing video and I switch inputs from my htpc to something else then back again. I didn't have this problem with Media Center on my old htpc so I'm not sure if this problem is computer specific or a MediaPortal issue. I've tried VBR and EVR. With either, when I switch back to the htpc while video is playing, I'll hear the audio but the screen will either be black, the video will stop playing and I'll see the MediaPortal UI, or MediaPortal will freeze and I need to force close.

It sounds like something is getting screwed up due to the handshake after the TV switches back to the HDMI input. I don't loose video card output ability like many people have posted about. I don't need to reboot or unplug/replug the video connection. If the screen is black, alt-ctrl-del will present the usual. It just seems like MP feaks out.

Would something like DVI Doctor solve this problem?

For only $39.20 each when QTY 50+ purchased - DVI Doctor - Powered EDID Problem Solver | DVI EDID Adapters

Any advice is appreciated. Have a great day!

Mike

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Mike

HDMI handshaking (and all that low level stuff) are not things that MP has any direct control over. It is completely in the domain of the video card driver, the switcher (if one is used), and the device on the other end of the cable. I know very little about dealing with HDMI problems but I have heard of "EDID overriding" (done in software/OS/registry... or something) which may be something that you could look into as an alternative to the DVI Doctor.

mm

*Please* don't forget logs are required for *all* support and bug report threads - its in the rules! Using the watchdog with option 3 enables you to grab logs for a crash even after the crash has occurred, so there is no excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom