Low FPS while watching HD Video (1 Viewer)

Mevv

Portal Member
March 16, 2015
Europe
Home Country
Madagascar Madagascar
Greetings Fellows.
Got an 'old' Netbook from HP with an Intel Atom 450 processor. It works very well. But when i want to watch HD videos its like clicking through pictures. Found a video decoder which could help the cpu decoding high defnition videos. Someone already made some experience with them? Does it work?

Thank you.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I own an old Samsung Netbook (running Win XP), probably with about the same level of performance as yours. Basically the GPU is very slow and does not have any worthwhile video decode acceleration, so almost everything has to be done by the CPU (which is also slow).

Of the decoders I have tried, CoreAVC was the fastest, but LAV or FFDShow were almost as fast (and they are free).

MediaPortal needs more GPU performance than something lightweight like MPC-HC (which has LAV filters built-in) or VLC player.

VLC player allows (if I remember correctly) certain H264/AVC decoding features to be disabled in the settings to improve decoding speed (but picture quality is degraded).

Basically you are unlikely to get it to go fast enough to play at the normal rate, but you *might* get HD to play well enough in MPC-HC or VLC to watch it (just about).

Mevv

Portal Member
    March 16, 2015
    Europe
    Home Country
    Madagascar Madagascar
    Oh... thank you. But i think i wasnt exactly enough. I meant i found a decoder card for the pci express slot to improve my netbook! :)
    It is called: Broadcom BCM970015 Crystal HD Video decoder. For example... there are also other publisher than Broadcom.

Mevv

Portal Member
    March 16, 2015
    Europe
    Home Country
    Madagascar Madagascar
    Just for information... bought one. It works. The videos are smoother and stable! (y)(y)

Thank you guys!;)

from Moderator: please stay on topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom