Low sound volume in MP (7 Viewers)

AfshinBarani

Portal Pro
April 16, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Title says it. The sound volume in MP is too low compared to other players (Such as KMP and PotPlayer) in my PC.
I tried to change Audio Render and other stuff but still no luck. I opened MP and tried to play a few video and audio files and uploaded the log. I also uploaded my PotPlayer config file in case it helps with my problem.

System Spec:
CPU: Intel Core2Due E5700 3GHZ
Ram: 4GB DDR3
VGA: AMD Saphire 7870Ghz
H.D.D: 2TB Toshiba
Sound Card: Creative Blaster Audigy Value

Attachments

• PotPlayerMini64.rar
    1.1 KB

AfshinBarani

Portal Pro
April 16, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
Right-click on the volume icon in taskbar and open the volume mixer. I can be a good idea to open mp in windowed mode and disable the "always on top" setting.

Ok i did that, What am i looking for here exactly?
Everything is maxed out. Speaker volume, MP Volume and System Sound.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Do you have a surround sound system (6 or more speakers), or a stereo sound system (2 speakers)?

The video you played has surround sound:
    [2016-08-29 13:31:17,355] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - MediaInfoWrapper.MediaInfoWrapper: AudioChannels : 6 [ "5.1.png" ]
    [2016-08-29 13:31:17,355] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - MediaInfoWrapper.MediaInfoWrapper: AudioCodec : AAC HE-AAC [ "aac he-aac.png" ]

If you have a stereo sound system, you should enable down-mixing in the LAV audio codec settings. If you don't enable down-mixing, videos with surround sound will seem quiet because you're only hearing 2 out of 6 (or more) channels. Same as here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/media-portal-1-15-low-volume.135045/#post-1194608

AfshinBarani

Portal Pro
    April 16, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Do you have a surround sound system (6 or more speakers), or a stereo sound system (2 speakers)?

The video you played has surround sound:
    [2016-08-29 13:31:17,355] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - MediaInfoWrapper.MediaInfoWrapper: AudioChannels : 6 [ "5.1.png" ]
    [2016-08-29 13:31:17,355] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - MediaInfoWrapper.MediaInfoWrapper: AudioCodec : AAC HE-AAC [ "aac he-aac.png" ]

If you have a stereo sound system, you should enable down-mixing in the LAV audio codec settings. If you don't enable down-mixing, videos with surround sound will seem quiet because you're only hearing 2 out of 6 (or more) channels. Same as here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/media-portal-1-15-low-volume.135045/#post-1194608

You're a life saver man. That was it. Im using Sennheiser Momentum Headphone which is a Stereo Headphone. Thanks to you the sound volume is much better now.

There's 3 options in LAV codec for sound mixing:

Center Mix Level
    Suround Mix Level
    LEF Level

What's the best setting? I want a mix of quality and volume.

I also have another question, There's an option in PotPlayer that boosts the audio (I don't know wether it lowers the quality of audio output or not, i cant to notice any different in quality), Is there a way to boost audio in MP too?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    What's the best setting?
    There is no "best setting". It is 100% personal preference.

For movies, center usually contains dialog (talking), surround mix usually contains ambient/environmental noise.
    LFE is low frequency effects - explosions, rumbles etc.

So, you choose what you want.

I want a mix of quality and volume.
    Mix has nothing to do with quality.

I also have another question, There's an option in PotPlayer that boosts the audio (I don't know wether it lowers the quality of audio output or not, i cant to notice any different in quality), Is there a way to boost audio in MP too?
    I've never used PotPlayer so I don't know what its "boost" option does. However I'm not aware of any boost setting in MP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom