Low sound when people speaks, not the music etc.? Codec? (1 Viewer)

XperienZe

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
Hi there!

I have MediaPortal 0.1.3.0, .NET 1.1, FFDShow, and that subprogram (?) Both things i was asked to install when I installed MediaPortal. I thought everything worked fine becouse i tested two movies and both of them worked perfectly.

Yesterday I played another movie and the volume when people speaked was very low, but the music and every other sound was normal. I tried some other settings in mediaportal without any luck, but at last i decided to play the movie in VideoLAN (VLC) and in that program it all worked fine, musicsound and people speaking sound was normal.

Then I realized it was a codec problem, I got the problem today when I played a movie to.

What should I do to solve this problem?

Thanks!

XperienZe

Portal Member
October 23, 2005
Thanks Flip! I'll try the AC3 thing.

When I watched the movie Madagascar yesterday and the movie Batman Begins the Madagascar movie hanged sometimes. That was very disturbing, but when i watched the movie Batman Begins it all went perfectly, no hang or something. I watched Madagascar in MediaPortal but Batman in VideoLAN (VLC). Have I missed some codecinstallation?

Could you do a list with codec i need to have installed? With links to, i cant fins codecs easy.

Or can my graphiccard make the movie hang? It is a Nvidia Geforce 2 MX... this only happened in Madagascar... so it should be the codec or what?

Thanks Flipgear, very tired now and my english is bad ;)

EDIT: I think i got it to work, but it sound a little low thoo (the speaking in some movies... not all). The soundsystem we use is a 5.1 (3 front 2 rear, 1 sub)

And the settings i used was:
http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload4/1-fje.JPG
http://files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload4/2-svf.JPG

Can i make it better or something?

Please answer at the question about videocodecs to please!

wishywashy

Portal Pro
January 31, 2005
Hill AFB, UT
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Maybe I am speaking out of turn, but why do you have both set to downmix to stereo when you are useing 5.1?

I only have a 2.0 setup right now, so I am just wondering why.

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    He might be using analouge out on his system and the source only supports 2 channel stereo. (Our amp only has 2 channel input despite being 5.1, its old)

tkortell

Portal Pro
    April 13, 2005
    Vaasa / Sulva
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    XperienZe

I also had this problem on some movies and FlipGer is right it is some problem with the AC3 handling in ffdshow audio. All I did was to change the "Output" on the ffdshow audio to AC3. I don't know if this is the solution for you but give it a shot. ;)

R / tk

XperienZe

Portal Member
    October 23, 2005
    Yes, i use one cable to the DVD from the motherboards soundcard. So i think thats why i cant use 5.1, somehow i get surround.

I didnt got my question about the videocodecs answered, I really need too now exactly which codec I should use, both sound and video... i think it is very hard to understand that from all the "guides" becouse the links to the codecs are old (from 2004).

I think i got it to work with the low sound, but is there any thing i should change in the settings, view the images some posts above ^^

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom