Main menu not shown on resuming from hibernate (1 Viewer)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
August 12, 2012
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
Hi,

when resuming from hibernate or standby I expect the following behaviour:

Either going to the main menu or directly resuming TV playback.
But instead I always see the TV overview menu, where I have to enable TV and then select the TV preview to see TV in Fullscreen mode.
The Setting "Show last active module" has no effect on this.

There is nothing in the log regarding this issue, because it's a bug in MP and no error.

Steps to Reproduce:
Go to hibernate
Resume

Pog

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 7, 2009
    Wicklow
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    It's the same for me.

I used to use the 'restart on resume' setting to avoid all sorts of problems but it's been removed in 1.4

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP continues where it left off. That it jumped to the main menu was a long standing bug in code logic not a feature.

All the last known module stuff on startup is inconsistent as well across the code. This needs a cleanup in general was did not make it fully into 1.4.0.

Only one option for dictating your behaviour of resuming to use MP. Not a ton of options for here and there or adding more on top of others. It has to be done from a user perspective and not from a system perspective or what state the system is in. Basically a "Continue where you left MP?" across the whole code in general.

So no bug. Old bug removed. Now the code behaves properly. And we now see that certain things do not behave properly as well. That's good.

Now consistency needs to be added in certain areas as well that have not yet been cleaned up.

Will be there with the next update for sure.

Last edited:

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, but then MP should resume TV Playback while resuming from standby, if you watched TV before going to standby.

Always going to Main Menu should be an option, because it makes sense ;-) Most of us need to use standby or hibernate for fast resume and scheduled recordings, but while resuming from those modes I Want to begin new and not be there were I left yesterday :)

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Any feedback for my last post?

I can't believe, that I'm the only person who don't like to see the TV Overview (see this screenshot found with search: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/bild1-png.116734/ )

This doesn't look nice and I have to select "TV on" and click on it and then go to the TV preview container and click again...

I would like to have an option that MediaPortal goes to the Main Menu after resuming from standby/hibernate and/or I would like to have TV playback resume after resuming from standby/hibernate, so that I can directly watch TV in fullscreen.

This would make sense. Everything else makes no sense. My suggestion will make peoply happy who want to see the Main Menu to start from beginning and select what they want to do (because when I watched TV yesterday, this doesn't mean that I want to watch TV again today, maybe I want to watch a movie today...) and also all other people would be happy who want to resume from where they left before standby/hibernate, so if I watch TV I want to watch TV again after resuming without make a lot of clicks and have to select the preview container. A lot of users (family members, etc.) don't know what to do, if they see the TV plugin with deactived tv playback.

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great, thanks!

But the big question is, will this be implemented in the official version or will it be something what have to be patched after every new version? :)

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What is seen < 1.4 is actually a bug and was never intended to work in this way.

Re-handling of where MP is on starting, resuming, hibernating etc. will be re-done. It was just not fully re-done for 1.4.

This also includes proper autostart over the Task Scheduler as MS guidelines demand among other related things so everything in this area is nicely implemented.

Last edited:

Snoopy87

Portal Pro
    August 12, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I understand this and I'm not talking about MP < 1.4 ;-)

The question is, how will it be in 1.5, 1.6, etc. ? Will TV playback automatically resume? Will there be an option to got the main menu after resume?

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    There will be a redone implementation of how MP remembers stuff where you are and how you control this. Currently sorting out details in my head how to integrated it transparent across everything.

Not just menus, but for example actively resume playback for example This needs some work to get it done nicely without 10000000000 of options or dialogs. It has to be simple in usage and consistent throughout MP and also handling stuff like roaming users in the future. So it needs to be done right to be flexible enough for the future. No cheap hacks here.

Most work lies here in thinking about usability in general across the board.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom