[Usability] Manage/Import Optical Movie Disk in MP : Media Stub Extension support (2 Viewers)

Do you want this feature to be included, in future release (ticked what you have need only)

• Total voters

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    @MJGraf: can you look on this way after nfoimporter ?
    Hawkeye: if this feature will be do. It's surelly on MP2

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    I've just added a Jira so that this one isn't forgotten...
    But I would like to wait with this until the MIA-Rework is done. Reason is as usual: Once the MIA-Rework is done, we would need to do 90% of the work again because things will be materially different...
    What I was just asking myself when I read your (very good (y)) first post in this thread:
    • Is the content of the .disc file you describe some kind of a standard? Are there programs out there supporting .disc files? If so, which ones?
    • How do we know what (Base-) Mediacategory a .disc file represents? We somehow need to find out whether it represents a Video or Music disc ("Image" would be the third and last base mediacategory we have, but I suppose this is a rare case for stub files). We currently cannot use the nfo-file because (a) we don't support nfo-files for music and (b) the NfoMDE only kicks in, when another MDE before has identified a file as being a Video.
    Michael

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    Is the content of the .disc file you describe some kind of a standard? Are there programs out there supporting .disc files? If so, which ones?
    http://kodi.wiki/view/Media_stubs
    Maybe xbne. But never tested.
    How do we know what (Base-) Mediacategory a .disc file represents?
    I think stored in different folder.
    User need to store their stub.by category
    Or/and add an extra node in the .disc file
    <mediatype>Video</mediatype>
    <mediatype>Audio</mediatype>
    the NfoMDE only kicks in, when another MDE before has identified a file as being a Video.
    Why. We can't have many files with the same name ?

I reply on tapatalk. So not easy.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Yep - but the content described there is completely different from what you propose in the first post of this thread. And I would really like to avoid "yet another proprietary 'standard'".
    I think stored in different folder.
    User need to store their stub.by category
    This is against the concept of MP2. MP2 needs to be able to identify the MediaCategory by the media file itself.
    Or/and add an extra node in the .disc file
    <mediatype>Video</mediatype>
    <mediatype>Audio</mediatype>
    This would be a solution - but again, if this is not a standard - who is supposed to put that info in the file? Doing all this manually sounds like not being really user friendly...
    Why. We can't have many files with the same name ?
    Because when a video file is not recognized by the VideoMDE as being a "Video", the MP2-Client's player will not be able to play that file. Hence, we don't add it to the MediaLibrary ;)

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    but the content described there is completely different from what you propose in the first post of this thread. And I would really like to avoid "yet another proprietary 'standard
    Yes. My proposal is more complex than kodi style. But i think needed.
    This is against the concept of MP2. MP2 needs to be able to identify the MediaCategory by the media file itself.
    Yes. But this stub are used for importing. So need only to detect the stub file. And import the entry available iniside stub file + nfo.
    About video audio format/codec. If are not identified in file.
    What i think about use:
    2 method available

Inside MP2 client. User insert optical media.
    On context menu. One option is available: add to database (like mp1 existing method)
    This option create the database value. And create also the stub folder/file/nfo. All for help to import later in case of error on database. But sure the option for create this files. Will be an option with the default folder where we want save this files.

The second method :
    With an external tool. I think to lehmden or tinymediamanager for support this implementation.
    This would be a solution - but again, if this is not a standard - who is supposed to put that info in the file? Doing all this manually sounds like not being really user friendly...
    MP2 itself need to handle this one. When insert the media. In case of start from empty.
    Media played by
    videoplayer = video
    Audioplayer = audio
    cause when a video file is not recognized by the VideoMDE as being a "Video", the MP2-Client's player will not be able to play that file. Hence, we don't add it to the MediaLibrary ;)
    Not sure to reply fine: it must be managed as notification for insert the media.

Hard on phone for reply

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    HI.
    I don't know if I'm able to add this to MKV-Buddy. Mainly because I don't have any optical drives in my computers. Did not even have an external USB drive... So it will be really hard to test.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Yes. My proposal is more complex than kodi style. But i think needed.
    You are right - I also think it is needed. I just don't like the idea that we create our "own standard". We should at least also support the Kodi-Style, but there we have the problem that we don't know whether it is a movie / series.
    Yes. But this stub are used for importing. So need only to detect the stub file. And import the entry available iniside stub file + nfo.
    Yep, understood. And if we have an MDE that adds .disc files as Video-Items, the NfoMDE will automatically extract all the movie info contained in the respective nfo-file. That's one of the big advantages of our flexible structure :)
    About video audio format/codec. If are not identified in file.
    We could take this one from the nfo-file. Currently the nfo-MDE reads this information if it is present, but just doesn't store it as the VideoMDE fetches this information anyway via MediaInfo. What we could do is that the NfoMDE checks whether this info was added before and only if not, add the info from the nfo-file.

As to the two methods you describe:
    Inside MP2 client. User insert optical media.
    This may be supported, but I don't think we would create .disc files in this case - we would just add it to our MediaLibrary without any .disc file. Reason is that I think it is too complicated otherwise. We would have to let the user choose a directory where these files are created. Ideally, this directory should be on the server so that the server can import the files without the client running. Creating files on the server from the client is not that easy. Etc. But having the MediaItems in the MediaLibrary should be fine...
    With an external tool.
    I think this is the right way to create these .disc files.

After all, making the Backend import .disc files shouldn't be too difficult. I think the more difficult part would be to make the Frontend treat these stub-items correctly...

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    this directory should be on the server so that the server can import the files without the client running
    sure, was the idea. store this files on a folder set from server. creation of .disc file can be done by an other plug-in?
    I think this is the right way to create these .disc files.
    agree but default user will use MP2 client as first tool. and import in database when want play movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom