Manage Tv Series and Anime in My TVSeries (1 Viewer)

Megane

Portal Member
March 18, 2008
Bologna
Home Country
Italy Italy
Hi,
I would like to import around 6.000 Anime files into My TVSeries (in addition to the approximately 15.000 TV series files already present).
The files are already formatted so that the plugin can recognize them correctly.
Also I can't use "Anime 3" because I have almost all anime dubbed in Italian or subtitled in Italian, so not present on AniDB.
Since I would not like to see TV and Anime series together in the plugin, would it be possible to insert a swict (similar the one used to select to show unseen episodes) to choose between TV Series and Anime?
Doing it with genres is a bit different and a bit long.
Thanks.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @Megane, you could create views and put the Anime shows in their own view and then exclude that from your regular TV-view. Then use viewTags view as the default view, and you can switch on main menu between "Anime" and "TV Shows" view, or add additional views. Via the All-view you can still gain access to both, and you can also leave shows untagged to a view and then view those grouped. I'm using the same structure myself and have a "Week-to-week" view, "Sitcoms", "Reality TV - Drama", "Reality TV - Cooking", "Kid Shows", and other views. You can assign a TV show to multiple views as well.

The end-result is then very alike to how Moving-Pictures works, so it has always worked well for me as those two plugins are my primary usage of MediaPortal.

Megane

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Bologna
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    I also mainly use My TV Series and Moving-Pictures.
    Precisely for this reason I would like to integrate the Anime in My TVSeries.
    Otherwise I forget to watch what I download ...
    I will try to import the Anime and doing what you suggested, hoping that you understand how to do. Since my MediaPortal is in Italian it is a bit difficult to understand what menu items and the interface of the plugin you're referring to.

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Your understanding of the English language (second for me as well) is higher than some Americans I've dealt with, so what you could do is temporarily switch MediaPortal to English to allow screenshots to match, and have verbage/terms line up with explanation. Once everything is configured the way you like it, then switch back to Italian :D

This is the area of the configuration that you are after: https://windows-cdn.softpedia.com/screenshots/MP-TVSeries_4.png

It is the "ViewTags" view that I use as default on mine, so be sure that the "View is available for selection" checkbox is checked, and you can use the "Add" or "Edit" buttons to manipulate what TV shows to add to other views. Creating a new view is actually easier in the MP-TVSeries GUI view as you just highlight a TV-Show and press the F9 key on keyboard (or the corresponding remote-control key) to bring up the context menu and then look for "Add Series to View". You can then enter a new view name, and call it "Anime" (or whatever you prefer). Once the view is created, then you can select it for the other TV-Shows that you also wish to add.

Using the skin left-button menu (for me on Titan Extended it swings in on the left side and I use left-arrow on my remote to access it) you can use the "Change View" option at the top to bring up the selection of all the select-able views to switch and see the corresponding TV-Shows. As stated before you can add a TV-Show to multiple views, and you can also remove it from a view via GUI. If you wish to 'move' it to a different view, the best way is to first add it to the new view, and then remove it from the existing view, because otherwise it will visually immediately be removed from current view and then you have to switch views first to ALL to add it to the new one.

I would suggest you first try it with one or two series and get an understanding of the system and all the options available, before you go crazy on dozens of TV-Shows and change your mind on what you prefer.

Mass-editing is possible via SQL commands in the database, but requires SQL knowledge.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    PS: Views are sorted in alphabetical order of their name, which you can manipulate by calling it for example "0. TV-Shows" and "1. Anime" to force Anime to sort below the "TV Shows" view, so that is why I suggested to play with it on just a couple of TV series first, until you are happy with the results and then mass-add all your shows to their respective View that you prefer.

Feel free obviously to use Italian names for your view :cool:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    PPS: You can also PIN-Protect views, so that you can for example put R-rated in an "Adult" view and lock it down with a PIN code to prevent multi-user children from gaining access to those shows unattended. Can also apply it to your "Anime" view to avoid confusion from other users of MediaPortal.

Megane

Portal Member
    March 18, 2008
    Bologna
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    This is not a problem.
    Only I use MediaPortal and therefore there is no such danger, at least not for now. ;)
    Thanks for the 2 valuable tips. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom