Managing media (1 Viewer)

nicknero

Portal Member
February 4, 2006
Hi folks!

Currently setting up a new system I´m considering swapping Pinnacle for MediaPortal. Getting my head around all the wonderfull toys MP offers I can´t seem to find an interface for managing media files. The one feature that, for me, has put Pinnacle in the lead, among the ready packages available out there, is their Media Manager. It´s a superb tool for organising all your media files. So, my question is; Is there or isn´t there such a plug-in currently available?

THX
NickNero

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ShowCenter includes powerful media management software, called Pinnacle MediaManager, which lets you manage your photo, video and music files on the PC. Use it to import your existing music library and add new tracks from CD. MediaManager also includes integrated CD and DVD burning for easy archiving. And by letting you create playlists and rate your media, MediaManager ensures the experience on your TV is even richer and more enjoyable.

Is this what you're talking about? What kind of functionality are you interested in that Media Portal doesn't provide?

nicknero

Portal Member
    February 4, 2006
    Brocklander said:
    ShowCenter includes powerful media management software, called Pinnacle MediaManager, which lets you manage your photo, video and music files on the PC. Use it to import your existing music library and add new tracks from CD. MediaManager also includes integrated CD and DVD burning for easy archiving. And by letting you create playlists and rate your media, MediaManager ensures the experience on your TV is even richer and more enjoyable.

Is this what you're talking about? What kind of functionality are you interested in that Media Portal doesn't provide?

Yes. What I´m looking for is the ONE intergrated interface for your imported media files, no matter if music, pictures or recorded TV, that allows you to organise, categorise, re-name, convert if needed, add comments to them etc. etc. and thus determine how they will be displayed on screen.

To give an example; We have 4 digital cameras in our family and that means an endless amount of pictures are being taken. After being downloaded to the PC I can in the MediaManager easaly scroll through, select and name a group of them say "X-mas party 05", then, pushing it further, select all pictures from X-mas partys and make a slide show called "The best of X-mas partys" and throw in Bing Crosby singing White Christmas in background. All in a matter of a "few" minutes and from the same userfriendly screen.

If I´m not making any sense pls shout and I´ll try again.

THX
    NickNero

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    nicknero

Try IT, as long as you specify music, picture, movie, and recorded tv folders and anything new you put into those folders, it will show up in MP
    which you can rename etc.

Ray 8)

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    While you can view and browse all your media (we have thumbnail and filmstrip views, along with various settings for slideshows), there is currently no way to copy files from something like a digital camera to your computer using MP.

As Paranoid said, any files you place in the folders you specified in MP Setup will appear in MP, and you can rename and delete files from within MP through the contextual menu (F3 or F9 I think). You can't yet move things around or create new folders from within MP, although I guess this behaviour could be replicated with playlists - if not now then as a future feature (Photo Playlists I guess?).

nicknero

Portal Member
    February 4, 2006
    Brocklander said:
    While you can view and browse all your media (we have thumbnail and filmstrip views, along with various settings for slideshows), there is currently no way to copy files from something like a digital camera to your computer using MP.

As Paranoid said, any files you place in the folders you specified in MP Setup will appear in MP, and you can rename and delete files from within MP through the contextual menu (F3 or F9 I think). You can't yet move things around or create new folders from within MP, although I guess this behaviour could be replicated with playlists - if not now then as a future feature (Photo Playlists I guess?).

OK. Thanks for the input. Goes for Paranoid to. I´ll go by the old but yet so true rule to make things work flawlessly before introducing to the family and set MP up as a side system until I´ve got the hang of it. Plenty of ins and outs by the looks of it.

THX
    NickNero

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom