[Rejected] Manual Control : Fix timeshifting broken. (1 Viewer)

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Side effect because of no "All Channels" group anymore in TV Channels.

1/ Start with a new install (Drop DB schema).
    2/ Scan TV channels.
    3/ Map them to cards.
    4/ Go to TV Channels, All Channels tab (scrn1.jpg).
    Here, you can see no channel because, at the first time, there is no All Channels group.
    5/ Go to Manual Control (scrn2.jpg).
    Here, You can't use timeshifting because of "All Channels" in group combobox wich implies empty Channel combobox.

After modification, it works (see scrn3.jpg).

Patch attached.

Attachments

• scrn1.JPG
      scrn1.JPG
      50.2 KB
    • scrn2.JPG
      scrn2.JPG
      51.1 KB
    • scrn3.JPG
      scrn3.JPG
      63.3 KB
    • TestService.cs.patch
      30.6 KB

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi,
    Will you answer and change patches threads states soon or not ?
    May be some others patches are waiting for, isn't it ? ;)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

I have seen the problem. I have not tested the fix yet, but it would be nice if someone can have a look at this patch.

Best wishes,

Mark

johnzered

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 20, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    But isn't all channels always mapped to the All Channels group? At least i've never noticed it to be empty??

//johnzered

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Franck,

I have now done a fresh install, and have 'All Channels' group, and can start timeshifting in manual section in config.

Could you please explain the circumstances where you can no longer do this, since this is what your patch fixes? Maybe the correct course of action is to stop the circumstances rather than patch the consequences.

Best wishes,

Mark

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi Mark,

I just installed 23908 SVN after a full uninstall, to be sure testing with MP devs release and, not mine.
    You are true, on fresh install, "all channels" group is now populated.
    Something has surely been changed since 20 september (1 month) and, bug on fresh install doesn't appear anymore, that's great.
    Therefore, an easy way to reproduce this problem (done this morning, with 23908 SVN) :
    - Launch TV Server Configuration.
    - Go on TV Channels section.
    - Choose All Channels.
    - Select all existing TV Channels.
    - Click on "Remove from group" button.
    - Confirm "Do you want...." by "Yes" button.
    At this stage, you will see no TV Channels in the "All Channels" group like on the first screenshot.
    - Go into Manual Control section.
    You will see same thing that the 2nd screen on the first post and, without ability to choose a Channel.
    If you try the same with my modification, you will see the fix and, the 3rd screen on the first post.

But, if MP devs prefer to lock the "Remove from group" in TV Channels section, it's up to you.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi Franck,

I think the general consensus on the team is that the correct way to resolve this problem is to disable 'remove channel from group' for 'all channels'.

I'm not sure if anyone is taking care of this, so you might be able to beat them to it :)

Best wishes,

Mark

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    I think the general consensus on the team is that the correct way to resolve this problem is to disable 'remove channel from group' for 'all channels'.
    Mark,
    Are you absolutely sure of that ?
    Sorry for asking another confirmation but, we loose the oportunity of removing a channel from "all channels" group, with that.
    And, if it's case, channels will stay in "all channels" group and, in another one (analog, digital terrestrial, ...) depending on card type.
    Then, I suppose we will have more problem with some bugs like 0002507: Channel change also changes groups - MediaPortal Bugtracker, for example.
    But, if it's really needed, I suppose I could check for making this way.
    Please, let me know.

I'm not sure if anyone is taking care of this, so you might be able to beat them to it :)
    hum sorry, I don't understand really what you mean, cause of my (bad) english.
    And, if I translate, you mean a fight ? :oops:
    If so, sorry, I already loose. :)
    I just discovered bugs because, I was new on TVE3 and, instead of moan, I prefered simply fix them and share for improving users experience.
    Even if I really think that I will stop soon putting such patches on the website because, I spend 30-35 % time for code and, 65-70 % time for create patches, posts, justify, explain, etc. ;)
    And, this operating mode takes too long time for being finally integrated in SVN, IMHO.
    CU.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Franck,

I was suggesting to not allow users to remove channels from the 'all channels' group.

If this is a default required group, and it is called 'all channels' then it should contain all of the channels. Anything else is misleading, and it becomes 'just another channel group'. So in my opinion (and apparently that of other team members) it makes no sense to be able to remove channels from this group.

I don't know if the other groups (digital terrestrial, analog) are 'special' and need to contain certain channels. As far as I know they are not, but I have not tested fully. 'All channels' is definitely required, and so should not be deleted and should contain all of the channels.

Best wishes,

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom