Manually Import Unripped Movies (1 Viewer)

Zorba

Portal Member
December 13, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've been using Mediaportal since 2009, but just started messing with Moving Pictures. I have a lot of DVDs and Blu-Rays that I have not ripped, and don't plan on ripping, but I would like to load them into the Moving Pictures database. It looks like I can do them one at a time by loading them into disc drive, then scanning. I was wondering if there was a way to add them manually, without having to load each disc individually in the computer.

Thanks!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @Zorba, it links the DVD serial number to the movie import, so when you browse through your Moving-Pictures collection and 'start' the movie, it will ask you nicely to insert the disc.

If you do not care about that, you could simply create 0-byte files with the filename of the movie in question. That will manually import the movie into Moving-Pictures without a correct link to the actual disc. If you try to play any of those movies MovPic will fail, and you will not be able to get accurate runtime from the disc, incase you have a special version (unrated, extended, director's cut, etc). Of course the time it takes to do that, you might as well just plop in a disc once in a while and let it correctly import it.

Via IMDb+ there is at least one extra way to tag those movies visually inside the list, by adding a custom tag to the filename.

"Example (2014) ([INSERT DISC]).mp4"

Would create Moving-Pictures title entry of "Example [INSERT DISC]", so that you can identify them quick while navigating the list, versus first highlighting the movie and looking at missing MediaInfo, or try to play the movie and wait for failure. Once you inserted the movie, it will reimport correctly with the disc linked, and then you can delete the 0-byte entry you created manually. In MovPic config there is an option to allow delete-from-GUI to make this process easier (though be forewarned this can lead to unpleasant side effects in a multi-user environment, especially when you have kids).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom