Many scheduled recordings are only a few minutes long (1 Viewer)

c 4

Portal Pro
March 4, 2008
Hi everyone,

can you please tell me why MP 1.3.0 has recorded only a small part of films I scheduled for recording on multiple occasions ? The computer clock is correct, the HDD is not full, the start and stop times were correct as I can see from the xml files and most of all, few scheduled recordings are correctly recorded from start to end. Some recordings used SAT-EPG, some were scheduled manually.

Examples for unfinished recordings:
  • 'Das schwarze Loch' on channel 3sat - just 1 minute was recorded (on 2013-06-08)
  • 'Nummer 5 lebt!' on channel 3sat, recorded on 2013-06-04 - just 1 minute was recorded. Recording has wrong title: Tagesschau - 3sat - 2013-06-04.ts
Examples for finished recordings:
  • '12 Monkeys' on channel Bayerisches FS Süd (recorded on 2013-06-08)
  • 'Erin Brockovich' on channel zdf_neo. Recording has wrong title: SOKO Leipzig - zdf_neo - 2013-06-07.ts
Please have a look at my logs.

<attachment removed>

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello c 4

can you please tell me why MP 1.3.0 has recorded only a small part of films I scheduled for recording on multiple occasions ?
    I can try.

Examples for unfinished recordings:

• 'Das schwarze Loch' on channel 3sat - just 1 minute was recorded (on 2013-06-08)
    In this case from the log files it looks like TV Server recorded the full schedule:
    2013-06-08 16:20:13.647781 [scheduler thread(11)]: Scheduler: Check recordings for schedule Das schwarze Loch...
    2013-06-08 18:10:14.709340 [scheduler thread(11)]: Scheduler: stop record 3sat 08.06.2013 16:20:14-08.06.2013 17:55:00 Manuell (3sat)

If only one minute of data is present in the file then my guess is that the tuner stopped streaming to TV Server due to some external cause such as signal loss or another application taking over control of the tuner.

• 'Nummer 5 lebt!' on channel 3sat, recorded on 2013-06-04 - just 1 minute was recorded. Recording has wrong title: Tagesschau - 3sat - 2013-06-04.ts
    Your log files don't go far enough back to fully check this recording, but from the TsWriter log it looks okay.
    The naming: I think TV Server names recordings by the name of the program that is airing at the time the schedule starts. So possibly the EPG data changed between when you created the schedule.

Examples for finished recordings:
    • '12 Monkeys' on channel Bayerisches FS Süd (recorded on 2013-06-08)
    • 'Erin Brockovich' on channel zdf_neo. Recording has wrong title: SOKO Leipzig - zdf_neo - 2013-06-07.ts
    I can see no difference between these recordings and the ones that were short.

mm

c 4

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Hi mm,

thanks for taking the time to have a look at my logs.
    Your log files don't go far enough back to fully check this recording, but from the TsWriter log it looks okay.
    There was no logfile TsReader-2013-06-04.Log in the generated zip file, but I found it (attached).

If no reason can be found from the logfiles, could it be a bug then ?
    I assumed that this could have happened because when I scheduled the manual recordings, no EPG data was present. Since I made the recording start while the previous show was still on, the EPG data for that show was used to fill the empty title of the manual recording and because the end time of that previous show was before the start time of the scheduled show, a conflict occurred that led to the cancellation of the recording.
    But: I am not sure if the problem happened with EPG scheduled recordings, too and there were also some cases when the recording started or ended 5-10minutes too late/too early.

Is there anything else I can do to help you finding the reason for this (happened again last night) ?

<attachment removed>

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    thanks for taking the time to have a look at my logs.
    No problem. :)

There was no logfile TsReader-2013-06-04.Log in the generated zip file, but I found it (will be attached shortly).
    What I was missing was the tv.log (tv.log.bak) which only goes back to the 7th.

If no reason can be found from the logfiles, could it be a bug then ?
    Well, I think it depends what you mean by bug.
    The major point from my previous post is that from a TV Server (MediaPortal) point of view it appears like nothing is wrong. Hence, it appears like whatever is causing this is outside our control.

The major question to answer would be: are you using the tuner with any other software? That includes services and background processes.
    If not then I think you should check your signal quality, update the tuner driver... and if the problem persists, contact TBS.
    http://www.tbsdtv.com/download/
    http://www.tbsdtv.com/forum/

I assumed that this could have happened because when I scheduled the manual recordings, no EPG data was present. Since I made the recording start while the previous show was still on, the EPG data for that show was used to fill the empty title of the manual recording...
    Well that would explain the recording file names.
    If you had scheduled recordings of the programs using the guide then names would have been correct.

...and because the end time of that previous show was before the start time of the scheduled show, a conflict occurred that led to the cancellation of the recording.
    In the first example you gave you can see from the debug output that I posted that TV Server thought it was recording for almost two hours... so I don't think it is a conflict. The recording is not being cancelled in the examples you gave.

But: I am not sure if the problem happened with EPG scheduled recordings, too and there were also some cases when the recording started or ended 5-10minutes too late/too early.
    You know about pre and post record, right?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...tion/001_TV-Server/Configuration/07_Recording
    Default is to start 7 minutes early and finish 10 minutes late.

Is there anything else I can do to help you finding the reason for this (happened again last night) ?

Confirming exactly how you scheduled the recordings would be helpful... but as above, I have a strong feeling that the cause of the problem is outside the realms of TV Server. I'm not sure what else to suggest to you other than what I already said above: signal, driver, TBS support.

c 4

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    The major question to answer would be: are you using the tuner with any other software? That includes services and background processes.
    No, I haven't even installed TBSViewer, the computer is only used for MP.

If not then I think you should check your signal quality, update the tuner driver
    The driver is the most recent TBS6922 Windows Driver V1.0.1.4. Signal quality was 82 to 84 for the channels I tested.
    I remember a case when there were 2 recordings on the same channel one day apart, the first was complete, the second was just 49 seconds.

You know about pre and post record, right?
    Yes, after the first incomplete recordings I was just extending recording time instead of changing the defaults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom