MCE Alternatives? (1 Viewer)

ruphus

October 2, 2009
Hi there,

quick question: Basically I used MCE (Xp and currently Win7). I have evaluated MediaPortal as well.
I have some problems with audio tracks of the movie files since I went for Win7 64bit, so before going back to XP or 32bit I want to check other HTPC solutions.

In principle I like MediaPortal more than MCE, but I have a really huge collection of videos and series and all of them are well formatted to support MCE (so, folder.jpgs, backdrops, meta information). Everthing is well organised, especially the TV series, I do not want to mess it up.
Disadvantage of MP for me is, that it does not rely on those data, even some plugins do not so. TV- Sieres plugin and Moving Pictuers may use folder or backdrops, but store them somewhere else etc. I do no like this.

Is there any other HTPC App known to work seamlessly with the MCE formatted data? Which?

Ah, my focus is on watching Movies/Serien from Harddisc, no direct TV watching, pictues or audio or so.

:D
ruphus

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England
    On a MediaPortal forum, what sort of answer are you thinking you might get?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    For movies, you can tell moving pictures to use your folder.jpg, backdrop.jpg, so this shouldn't be a problem. Not sure about the metadata, as I let it grab this from IMDB, and it works great.

Mark

ruphus

October 2, 2009
    Hey guys,

thanks so far. Especially the meta is an issue. Most apps tend to get English metadata, took me quite a while to get the data in German for me.
    So prio 1 is in fact taking over Metadata ;-(

Seems I am stuck with MCE ...

Cheers

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

The moving pictures plugins grabbs the german metadata form the ofdb website ... so no reason to import all the things. There are sure some movies that will not be found, but once configured, it works for all clients like a charm.

It's your choice

cu

naich

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes, i think so, but unfortunately I don't use TV - Series. But as fas as I know, it should work on the same way.

cu

ruphus

October 2, 2009
    ah, great, thanks!
    seems I have to spend next weekend looking deeper at this ;-)

cheers

jonaskp

Portal Pro
    October 23, 2006
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    The great thing about the TVseries plugin, is that basically you can tell it to read you files, no matter how you have the filenames/folders formatted. It's just a question of writing the correct Expression used when parsing the files.

Do you also have folder.jpg, backdrops and metadata for all your TVseries? The easiest thing to do, would be to let the plugin download this. It downloads data from thetvdb.com, which is an online database. It contains data for TVseries in a lot of languages. Usually I think that a lot of them has german metadata. If not, You can add it yourself to the online database. This both ensures that you yourself gets the updated info, and also helps other people in the future. If metadata is not available in your prefered language, it will download english data instead.

How are you TV-series organized and named? This would make it easier to see if it would be easy/possible to get TVseries to parse them correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom