MCE Alternatives? (1 Viewer)

DGMurdockIII

Portal Pro
April 25, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
boxee - Boxee
Freevo - Freevo Media Centre | Home Theatre Platform HTPC & PVR (has dvb/tuner cards support)
GB-PVR - GB-PVR mediacentre. TV, Music, Video, Pictures, DVD (has limited dvb/tuner cards support)
MeediOS - MeediOS - The HTPC app of the future (has dvb/tuner cards support)
MediaPortal - MEDIAPORTAL - free media center - Home (has dvb/tuner cards support)
moovida - Moovida, the free media player - play all your files - AVI, mp3, MKV, DivX, MOV, MP4
XBMC - XBMC

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think importing your movie collection using movie pictures will require very little user input, and it can actually use the metadata from your MCE install to identify the movie, if you add .xml to the .nfo/.txt file scaning. It will also use folder/backdrop automatically, however yes it will store a copy elsewhere (This is no big deal)

My TV Series, will not use any of your MCE metadata. If you TV Series are nicely named it should pick everything up with very little user input.

Having said that Win 7 MCE correctly setup is sexy and awesome, why would you want to change if you've got everything setup already. Maybe you should use Win 7 32bit.

you should also isntall ffdshow 32bit if your using Win7 MCE, then use a codec editor to make Win7 use ffdshow for audio, this should solve your audio problems. (Did with my brother's HTPC).

From my understanding the best HTPC apps are;

Win7 MCE
    Mediaportal
    XBMC
    GBPVR

I think XBMC should support MCE metadata too

BrAtKo

Portal Member
    March 12, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovakia Slovakia
    Hello anyone already tested most of the media softwares and can write quick review please ? My favourites are:

Boxee
    MediaPortal
    MeediOS

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom