MCE Remote Buttons Don't Function - Fixed Thanks (1 Viewer)

Norman E. Spaulding

Portal Member
February 24, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Windows 7 64 bit, latest MP version -- I've so far bought 3 remotes advertised as MCE remotes. So far, even though I chose Microsoft MCE Remote in the Configuration, almost none of the buttons work. Mostly I play back movies from my NAS, which play beautifully (better than PCH boxes ever have). None of the the remotes' "Play" "Stop" "Pause" or other playback-related buttons work. Some buttons for other functions do work. I have to use my mouse to select from the pop up menu at the top. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I'm missing?

Last edited:

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Norman

A TRUE mce remote will always have RC6 on any label and install under device manager as ehome infrared receiver (usbCIR), chances are yours may use HID commands, so untick mce under MP config and select HID, if that does not work try sceneo setting.

If none of these work then let us know.

Norman E. Spaulding

Portal Member
    February 24, 2013
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    THAT worked! Good grief, why didn't I just try it anyway. Now the remote power button even puts the HTPC to sleep (Intel Next Unit 3217IYE). Perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose compatibility with almost every new version. And new skins are too 'fancy' for my taste. I use a customized version of the default wide skin with only Videos and TV in the main menu. I use mediaportal for recording...
    I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose...
    I've been using version 1.2.2.0 for years and have found no need to upgrade to newer version. I hate it that skins loose...
    Replies
    Views
    I've made a workaround using Autohotkey. If you don't want to install that should this problem arise for you, you can use my compiled .exe and add it to the autostart folder of Windows 8.1 and above. The functionality then is, when you press the Volume Up button on your MCE remote, this will send ALT+TAB to your HTPC, bringing...
    I've made a workaround using Autohotkey. If you don't want to install that should this problem arise for you, you can use my...
    This is something completely new for me. I've had this installation for a long time and the only thing I've change AFAIK, is...
    Replies
    Views
    Thanks CyberSimian, I appreciate the reply. I have the source code for both 1.12 and 1.21 so one day if I have some time I might try to compare the two and see what I can find. I do suspect that the changes could be quite extensive though. I'll update here if I figure anything out of course, and in the meantime I still have a...
    Thanks CyberSimian, I appreciate the reply. I have the source code for both 1.12 and 1.21 so one day if I have some time I might...
    Hi all. I've been running MP 1.12 for quite a while and have recently upgraded to 1.21. I now have a remote control issue which...
    Replies
    Views
    So my project yesterday was to get my MCE remote working and perfectly mapped with the internal IR receiver of my Antec Fusion Remote case. I have pretty much succeeded using IRSS, great! However there is something I would like to know if I could do in a better way. There are some buttons on my remote (e.g.Visualizations, Eject) that...
    So my project yesterday was to get my MCE remote working and perfectly mapped with the internal IR receiver of my Antec Fusion...
    So my project yesterday was to get my MCE remote working and perfectly mapped with the internal IR receiver of my Antec Fusion...
    Replies
    Views
    Skip forward/backword works well for me in 2.3 with the WMC skin using the mouse. I can also FF at X2. All I'm missing is the ability to speed up replay with sound!
    Skip forward/backword works well for me in 2.3 with the WMC skin using the mouse. I can also FF at X2. All I'm missing is the...
    Sorry to ask a question again that I can see has been asked before, but I just cannot find an answer and so many of thew wiki links...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom