MCE Remote control - My final solution (1 Viewer)

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0beta, multiseat - Server/Client
    MediaPortal Skin: Black Glass SVN with my mod
    Windows Version: XP Pro SP3/Windows 7
    CPU Type: Athlon 2,3GHz/Atom 330 + ION
    HDD: SSD 32GB, WD 500GB, CF 8GB, WD 500GB, 3x1TB/WD 1x160GB
    Memory: 2GB DDR II 800MHz/2GB DDR II 800 MHz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2/Zotax ION A
    Video Card: integrated
    Video Card Driver:
    Sound Card:
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: LEADTEK WinFast DTV2000DS
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    1. TV Card Driver:
    2. TV Card:
    2. TV Card Type:
    2. TV Card Driver:
    3. TV Card:
    3. TV Card Type:
    3. TV Card Driver:
    4. TV Card:
    4. TV Card Type:
    4. TV Card Driver:
    MPEG2 Video Codec: SAF 6.00 (ffdshow)
    MPEG2 Audio Codec: SAF 6.00 (LAVF)
    h.264 Video Codec: SAF 6.00 (ffdshow DXVA)
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Sharkoon Rebel 9 Economy/M350
    Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 212+/Zotac 60mm + Airen regulator
    Power Supply: Chieftec Green Angel 350/Zotac
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One
    TV: Samsumg 40" model N
    TV - HTPC Connection: Dual - HDMI + VGA (sub-D)

From the beginning I used to operate MediaPortal remote control only. Logitech Harmony One with a USB IR receiver. With the success I have included Event Ghost and Message plugin and got the solution gradually to meet all my expectations (including the control functions of the OS, sound card, mouse emulation and many others).

But gradually I began to realize that my solution is indeed the "perfect" but the demands on system resources, and especially reaction time is not such as I wished. Also, maintenance and adjustments are more complicated. My main HTPC client running on the Atom 330 + ION, which fully covers the requirements for playing videos, but in terms of other functions (display skin, database functions, GUI) it is not so powerful. So I decided to radical "slimming".

EventGhost and Message plugin was no longer needed, all the mapping I concentrated only in the native remote control plugin. I modified a mapping eHome driver too, now there are only the arrow keys, PgUp and PgDown and the combination Alt-F4 (which is there as an emergency button - it can stop MediaPortal even if unexpected problems - freezing - I'm using MediaPortal 1.2.0Beta ;)). All other more remote control functions are mapped in "Microsoft MCE.xml" only.

I also changed the logic of the switch on (awakening) and off (asleeping). Instead of using the Power Toggle button I used two buttons, Power Toggle only wakes the computer and asleep is mapped to other button. I removed the problems that arose when I wake up client computer with WOL message (for remote maintenance via Remote Dektop) and then someone would turn on the computer via remote control and at that moment he actually turned computer off. :(

Everything is now much faster, there are no long delays and work with MediaPortal is much nicer.

This solution has few shortcomings - some features that I made in EventGhost I do not do it now - especially the mouse emulation I miss the most. And I have to MediaPortal still in the foreground. But it does not matter much to me, because my client now nothing running except MediaPortal.

For those who cares I attached last version of "Microsoft MCE. xml" file and a registry patch which changes eHome driver mapping. Both files are intended only as an inspiration for experienced users!

Jiro.

Attachments

• Microsoft MCE.xml
      13.3 KB
    • MCE Media.reg.txt
      798 bytes

JiRo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 1, 2009
    Prague
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic

Hi cpsarros.

Incredible coincidence :eek:.

Today I played all day with a new parameterization of the Harmony One. For MediaPortal I used two devices, one with a MCE Remote and second with MCE Keyboard. And MCE Keyboard has mouse emulation keys.

So far I have at the beginning, but it looks promising.

Anyway, thanks for your link.

JiRo.

P.S.
    Wow, both solutions give practically the same result. They use a standard MCE remote setup with added a learned commands from the MCE keyboard. My solution uses two devices: MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard.

Attachments

• Harmony setup.jpg
      Harmony setup.jpg
      182.3 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom