HDPLEX internal MCE IR Remote Control (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi guys,

I'm evaluating the following MCE IR solution:
    http://www.hd-plex.com/hdplex-internal-mce-ir-remote-control.html

I've enabled MCE remote in the configuration but I only get the arrows and 'ok' button working in MP.
    Even the back button is not working. I was expecting that thing to work out of the box.
    I was testing against 1.9 pre.
    Logs attached.

I also tried setting up the Green Button to launch MP using that MPTray thingy but that too it not working.
    The teceiver is clearly getting the signals.

Cheers,
    S.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    This is NO MCE receiver, it's a HID device.
    Native windows HID driver support, sames as USB keyboard, no additional driver needed.
    It can not work with the MCE setting in MP. a "real" MCE receiver shows of as "ehome ir receiver" in devices manager.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Interresting...
    Looks like I'm in for some more configuration fun :)

Any other hardware you would recommend with similar on/off capabilities?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Personally I use the 10 years old original Microsoft MCE receiver. On my new system it can power on the HTPC without any further configuration or wiring. But this only works on relatively new mainboards with a working!!! power on by USB options. Which boards this have, I can't tell. The AsRock H97M Pro4 is the first board I have where this is working...

As you are German best is to ask @AEOne. He's our Remote expert and he also has an online shop for such things. If someone can help, than it's him.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Interresting... Looks like I'm in for some more configuration fun :)
    If your IR receiver generates keyboard shortcuts for Windows Media Center, it is similar to the Ortek remote control that I described in the thread concerning scrolling the EPG. The Ortek is sold under the "Hama" brand name in Europe. Someone put together a remote-control definition file for the Hama, and I think that it is this one:

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/centarea-hid-xml.153000/

(Sorry, but I don't speak German, so I do not know what that thread is about.) I did download an earlier version of that XML file from another thread, and tried it with my Hama remote control. It mostly works, but it does not solve the problem of the EPG scrolling (which is what I was looking for).

The Hama/Ortek remote control transmits some unexpected shortcuts, so the XML file above might need some modification to work with whatever IR receiver you have. Examples: for INFO, it sends RIGHT-MOUSE-BUTTON instead of CTRL-D; for STOP it sends MEDIA-STOP instead of CTRL-SHIFT-S. Nevertheless, it may provide a good starting point. Note: the file is named incorrectly, having an underscore where a blank should be (so you will need to rename the file before MP Config can find it). Also, you deselect "MCE Remote Control", and select instead "Centarea Remote Control".

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Oops, sorry.
    I only read "Home Country: Germany" in your user information... But after a decade I'm pretty sure you can communicate in German.

Some time ago I've bought some of those (for people I know):
    http://www.cohaus-berlin.de/shop/RC...C6-Infrarot-Empfaenger-Modell-IR605Q::30.html
    Working pretty well, but wasn't that expensive those days. Seems as if prices are raising heavily (around 50% in 4 years).

I have payed about 30 DM (15€) for the original MCE remote with USB- receiver, but it's a decade since then... The remote is broken some years ago, but the receiver still is working like brand new.

But why not try to use the one you already own. HID remotes are common and they are working in MP. You only need to configure them as HID and probably change the mapping...

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yes I guess I'll use that one to replace my iMON but I'm also considering another build for which I would probably be better of with an actual MCE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom