MCE Remote Not Working (1 Viewer)

keither

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
I just got an mce remote (US, not with the four colored buttons :( ) Here is a link to an eBay item exactly like the one i just got. [http://cgi.ebay.com/MICROSOFT-MEDIA...838754807QQcategoryZ51086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]

In any event, I followed some previous strains and got the IR receiver recognized and "working properly" but can't get the remote to do anything. I copied and installed the driver from an xp pro disc. I've ticked the box in MP selecting the US MCE remote. Still nothing. Any suggestions? Maybe I don't know what "pointing the driver" to the irbus.xxx files means. I thought I did it all correctly, but obviously...

Thanks...& Merry Christmas,
Keither

Area: REMOTE
MP Version: 0.2.0.0 RCI
Skin: mce (but i've tried them all)
Windows Version: xp home; sp2
CPU Type: amd 3000+
Memory: 1gig
Motherboard Chipset: don't know
Video Card: radeon 7000
Video Card Driver: ATI 6.14.10.6462
Video Card Resolution: 800x600
Video Render Type: Overlay
Video Codec Type & Version: video mixing renderer 9 - windowless
Audio Codec Type & Version: can't read it well on my screen. It's the last one on the list of 4. Starts out with "mpeg..."
TV Card: AverMedia m150
TV Card Type: hardware
TV Card Driver: driver version you used for testing
Optional Log: parts of the "/log/MediaPortal.log" which show an issue
Optional References: any reference [/url]

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Are the keys lighting up on your remote when you press the buttons?

There is an issue with the MCE remtoes where a capacitor doesn't discharge and the remtoe loses all functionality. At this point, the remtoe seems completely dead, the buttons don't light up or anything. You have to remove the batteries completely and either let the remote sit for a while or press all the buttons to try and discharge the capacitor. After that you can reinstall the batteries and functionality should be restored.

I've found that my MCE remote eats batteries much moreso than other remotes, and whent he batteries get weak, the remote stops working. You need to have good fresh batteries in that thing at all times.

edit: Also, switch to Overlay mode with that rig that you are using. That video card is not DX9 compatible.

keither

Portal Member
    November 9, 2005
    All the lights ARE lighting up and the batteries are brand new.

I'll switch to Overlay. Thanks.

Any other ideas? (My WAF factor could use some help :wink: )

Commodore 64

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2005
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hmm. Odd.

When I got my MCE remote wokring in MP, all I did was plug in the IR receiver. I didn't change any drivers or anything. It worked right out of the box with SageTv and MediaPortal

keither

Portal Member
    November 9, 2005
    I wonder if it has anything to do with running xp home instead of xp pro. Some of the strains talked about copying the driver from my pro cd (since i have xp pro on my other machine) and I did, but still no luck. Hopefully someone will have some suggestions.

Thanks,
    Keither

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can supply you with the drivers I used to get the European remote working on my XP Home. I just pointed the Found New Hardware wizard to this folder when it asked for drivers, and everything ran fine.

Just PM me with your email address.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    the simple way to tell if the issue is MP specific or to do with the windows drivers is that the "OK" button on the remote should work like a mouse click in any application. Same with the arrow buttons being arrows. If this doesn't work then you have a driver issue (or something else that is out of MP's control).

keither

Portal Member
    November 9, 2005
    So, i never got it working under xp Home, but installed a copy of xp pro i had and it worked like a charm. Just plugged it in and away i went! Happy New Year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom