MCE Remote Problems - Can anyone give a simple, direct answer . . .please! (1 Viewer)

PattayaPete

October 25, 2006
I have never been able to get an MCE Remote to work well with Media Portal. In the end I've just used LM Remote Key to get the job done. It does an OK job but I'd really like to get the MCE remote working without additional plugins and programs.

Is this possible?

I have just done a new install so I am determined to get to the bottom of why I always fail to get the MCE Remote to work directly.

Under remote in configuration I select Microsoft MCE. Tick the box use Microsft MCE remote or keyboard.

A test show some keys working as expected - OK, up, down, left, right, i and the number keys. No transport control keys work.

Mapping seems to be the answer so I have tried mapping the stop key as follows under mapping . . .

Microsoft MCE Remote
Stop
All Layers
Condition = Media is playing
Action "Stop"
Click Wav

Condition = No condition
Action "Stop"
Click wav

It doesn't work. Have tried without the no condition argument, also window, fullscreen. Nothing works.

Am I missing something fundamental here. Maybe I am just stupid :D

I really really want o get this working. Obviously once I figure out how to make one key work the rest will be easy.

I've asked this before and never got an answer. So if you know, please please help me. Enough begging - thanks for any assistance.

I've tried this with many versions of media Portal and operating systems over the years. For the sake of completeness I am currently using Win 7 64 bit. Media Portal Version 1.1.2 and the Vista MCE Remote.

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If its a proper MCE remote + receiver it should all work out of the box, i have 3 diff MCE remotes here and they all work fine in my MP PCs, so this is my guess.

1/ You have a remove/receiver that is similar but not actually a proper MCE remote

2/ you have 3rd party software on your system which stops it from working as norm, such as LM Remote Key, Eventghost etc. - these should all be uninstalled to test it properly

3/ you are using 3rd party drivers for it instead of the windows drivers

I have same OS and MP version as you on 2 of my htpcs and it works fine out of the box with no drivers or mods to the mce settings, apart from enabling it.

Maybe you could upload a Pic of your remote and receiver

rzw

December 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I wanted to start new thread but I think I have exactly same problem as PattayaPete so I post here, hope it's ok.

MP 1.1.2
    WinXp Prof SP3

I am trying to configure my remote to control MP... with no luck.

I have this case:
    PRODUCT DETAIL - MS-TECH Technology
    where the IR-remote was included. All I know about remote (read from case box and manual):
    - 'IR Remote Control for Media Center (R) Computers'
    - 'USB-IR Receiver'
    - 'Required WinXP MCE Edition'.

I thought it is some kind of MCE remote compatible so I ticked 'Use Microsoft MCE remote or keyboard' hoping that it will work, bur it doesn't work. Some buttons work ok (up, down, left, right, mute) but for example 'Back' (and others) button doesn't work at all.
    I didn't gave up, and ticked 'Use IR Trans receiver'. No luck! But volume+/- buttons started to work, "Mute" button stopped working. BTW I haven't found *.rem files on my HD, is it ok in MP1.1.2 version?

I read about drivers, I dowloaded
    MCE Remote Driver (MODIFIED INF) - MEDIAPORTAL
    but I found these files on my HD, but newer so I didn't replaced them.

I read a lot of threads about similar problems, but haven't found good solution. Anyway, now I'm about to give up...
    The only solution I see is to 'learn' like it is possible in other applications (e.g. DVBViewer) It works like this: I choose command, and then "learn' button and press button on my remote (kind of relation between keyboard and remote).
    Is there any plugin for MP to do that?

Thanks in advance,
    rzw

rzw

December 30, 2010
    Home Country
    Poland Poland
    I tried this plugin before and trully don't know how I couldn't see the Key/Button Definition. Now it's so simple....
    Thanks!

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MCE Remote Problems - Can anyone give a simple, direct answer . . .please!

PattayaPete: I also have two MCE remotes and one MCE keboard with original MCE receivers here and they work very fine with MP. I think you should follow the hints of mastyman.

Cheers

henning

allanp81

Portal Pro
    October 24, 2006
    Do you have any TV tuners installed as well? I found my new blackgold tuner inserted another ehome received into device manager that seemed to just confuse windows.

henning

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2008
    Ingolstadt
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: MCE Remote Problems - Can anyone give a simple, direct answer . . .please!

If this is a question to me: It's everything mentioned in my sig. I'm running a server/client system. So there is no TV tuner installed in the clients.

Cheers

henning

gabrif

February 5, 2011
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Hi,
    In MP configuration - Remote, I had to tick Use MCE Remote, Use General HID, and Use IRtrans to get it working, but then it worked straight away.

HTH,
    G.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom