MCE Remote with extra buttons - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Newcomers Forum' started by teststrips, April 4, 2008.

1. teststrips

teststrips Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been looking for a MCE model 1039 remote with the 4 extra buttons at the bottom. You can see it via the link below:

MCE Remote - MythTV (I'm specifically looking for #2 in the lineup of 5)

I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere - any suggestions on how/where to get this? (I'm in the US)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. and-81
    • Premium Supporter

and-81 Retired Team Member

IT Consultant/Developer
    Ratings:
    +183 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    You might have to get it from overseas, you want the European/Australian version.

I'm not in the US so I can't say any more than that.

Good luck,

4. Paranoid Delusion
    • Premium Supporter

Paranoid Delusion Moderation Manager

Electrical Engineer
    Ratings:
    +1,482 / 0
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
  5. funkstar
    • Premium Supporter

funkstar Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Home Country:
    Scotland Scotland
    Just in case you didn't know the four coloured buttons are used here in Europe on Tv remotes and STB remotes for interactive content as well as shortcuts for Teletext services.

6. teststrips

teststrips Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From a previous thread (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/newcomers-forum-240/ir-control-pc-36175/), I learned that most any button on the remote can be mapped to a different function. What I'm hoping to accomplish is to remap the keys to control lighting and my projector screen.

Since it doesn't look promising to find one of these remotes within US boarders, are there any other models of remote that someone would recommend. I really want a single remote + I hate having to switch between TV mode/Aux mode/etc to control different devices. I want something that has a few extra buttons that I can script any way I want.

7. fujistick

fujistick Portal Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    Australia Australia
    You could try one of the logitech harmony universal remotes. (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=us,en) They are a bit on the pricey side, but they can be programmed to do what you want.

They are activity based so for example, you choose the 'Watch a Movie' activity and the remote can be programmed to automatically turn on your tv & amp, select the correct inputs if necessary, turn on the air con, dim the lights, etc. For each activity, different buttons can be mapped to different devices, for example, the watch tv activity could have the channel up/down buttons mapped to the MediaPortal channel up/down (you could set the logitech harmoney remote to act as a MCE remote to control MediaPortal), and have the volume up/down buttons on the remote controlling the volume on your amp. Have a look at the logitech website for a better explanation.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!