MCE remote with MCE receiver -unable to bind voume keys and mute key (1 Viewer)

TRIROG

Portal Pro
February 27, 2007
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Hi!

Wonderful plugin, but i have a small problem.

I would like to control my receiver via RS232 and i have already set a serial command for the red button on the remote, but i'm not able to set the actions for the voume up and down and mute buttons. I can see , that they work since the windows volume slider is moving, but the Translator does not detect them. I can assign actions for every button except for volume up/down, and mute.

The process i am using is :
Start the translator
Cick new
The dialog pops up telling me to press a button
Press volume up/down/mute
The translator dialog times out

As i said, it will accept any button but volume up/down and mute. What could be the issue?

And another thign ... Can IRSS intercept buttons aind block further commands-i'd like the volume keys to only control my receiver and not the windows volume?

I'm running
Windows 7 64
MP 1.2.2
And the latest verison of the IRSS.

Please help?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you tried unticking use mce remote under config\remotes, does that make any difference.

My MCE remote (M$) volume and power buttons are programmable\learning and of course no RS232 so cannot test this myself.

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Checked, tried disabling MCE remote in MP setup... No joy ...
    Disabled MCE remote in IRSS Server config ... No joy ... No detection at all ... Doh ...

Also realised that my upper statemnts were not true ... I am also not able to bind the number keys, arrow keys and OK key... Others work ...

Btw ... I was also looking for such MS remote ...but didn't find any ...

Is there any way i can check to see if IRSS even detects keys pressed ....

I mean the arrow keys and volume keys normally work ... In MP ..

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Sit rep update:

By using Instructions forn an old thread for MCE replacement driver, that suggested deleting keys for registry
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

Then delete the keys from "CodeSetNum0" to "CodeSetNum3".)
    I have managed to get the translator to pick up the volume buttons ... However none of the buttons responded when i tried to use them ... Not even the mce button worked ...Why? Is there a setting in the config of the IR SERVER to enable the usage ... I mean obviusly with the registry settings removed, the translator gets the buttons, but why wont they work in MP?

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Success!!!

Last night i decided to have a little 1 on 1 with the HTPC, MP and IRSS and figure it out ...

The status was: i could send system wide commands with the translator for most buttons except:
    arrows, ok, volume up/down, mute, numbers, start (green button).

So i could set the serial command fot receiver power toggle for red button, but could not set the receiver MUTE toggle for mute button or receiver button control, because receiver would just Time out whan trying to pick up those commands, so i could add serial commands to them.

Based on previus success i deleted the Codenum set 0-3 enteries from registry - this has enabled translator to pick up buttons VOl up/down and MUTE.

Next i set the serial command for those buttons in translator, because now it would recognize them, so i could bind them...

however no matter what i did, i could not get the Translator to act on keypress of those buttons. Even wheni ran the debugger client i could see, that the server is normally receiving and interpretting the received commands for those buttons, but translator was not acting on those commands.

At that point a realised, that deleting Codenum0-3 enteries also disabled the start button as a MP launcher so i had to configure it in translator to run the MP.

Thinking there was no way to have a system wide control of volume, mute and other commands i tried my luck with the MP plugin - so at least i could control the things while running MP ( at least thats what i figured: plugin for control while in MP and Translator for system wide events)

First i created the macros for my serial commands, next i opened the button mapping and added the run macro commands for volume up/down and mute commands.

Tested the result and realised, that now everything worked in MP including the volume control via SERIAL.

I was very surprised when i realised that suddenly all the buttons were working even when not in MP.

Something seems to have done a trick ... Anyway ... I was also playing with the IRSS advanced configuration and by Stopping the service and starting the application and viceversa.

Oh one more thing!

Can anyone please confirm my understanding of the Translator program and the MP Plugin.

The way i see it is that the translator is ment to control events outside mediaportal and the MP plugin is meant just for control while runing the MP - hence the "require focus" option?

Anyone?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sadly this is were you are almost talking to yourself, the 2 developers who might know what you are talking about are busy with real life atm.

Glad you got it sorted out for the main part, now might be a good idea to do a system backup ;)

1stdead

Portal Pro
    February 1, 2008
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    My experince with MCE remote with MCE receiver was not to use irss or anything. Just plug it in usb and then everything was ready to go in mediaportal.

TRIROG

Portal Pro
    February 27, 2007
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Yeah i figured that much out by now ... ;)

As for using MCE Remote without IRSS - i needed a way to control the receiver and soon to come Plasma via RS232 ( Serial) port - this enables me to simply control everything via 1 remote.

legnod

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 24, 2011
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you just want to control MePo you dont need IRSS but if you want to control more of your devices such as TV oder STB and maybe got some other Hardware (Ambilight System, LED Lighting in Living-Room) to control, IRSS is probably the only way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom