mce500, MP, and ffdshow (1 Viewer)

nst6563

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
I'm about to order an MCE500 for my mediapc and was wondering if MP works correctly with the MCE500 and using ffdshow postprocessing on the external inputs of the mce500. I'd like to take the output from my DirecTV receiver and run it to the external input (AV1 I believe it's called) of the mce500 and use ffdshow to process the video.

Is this possible? I've got a Fusion HDTV5 card already, and from my experience the HDTV support is buggy at best and enabling ffdshow on the ATSC stream basically results in a lockup. I have no problems with ffdshow on DVD's though (upscaled to 2400x1328 lanzcos 2, postprocessing, x-sharpen 10).

shred444

Portal Pro
May 13, 2006
media portal works for me with the 500. i dont use the direcTV stuff you were talking about though...

nst6563

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
shred444 said:
media portal works for me with the 500. i dont use the direcTV stuff you were talking about though...

are you able to use ffdshow postprocessing with it? If it works with regular analog cable tuner input...I would assume it would also work with the AV1 inputs on the back of the card.

shred444

Portal Pro
May 13, 2006
i dont have ffd checked off. i had it on before, but i dont see any difference and i have no idea what it does. so no... i dont.

care to share?

nst6563

Portal Pro
August 26, 2005
shred444 said:
i dont have ffd checked off. i had it on before, but i dont see any difference and i have no idea what it does. so no... i dont.

care to share?

ffdshow is a postfilter that can be used to reduce picture noise, sharpen, adjust color output, resize, etc. VERY nice results can be gotten from configuring ffdshow on a good setup hooked to a good TV.

I'm not rich by any means...but I have a few friends that have spent a few thousand more on their TV's and HT setups than I have, yet are jealous of the picture quality I have on DVD's and other content that is played through my MediaPC.

I want to use ffdshow to process the satellite input the same as it processes my DVD's to get a much better picture.

check out www.htpcnews.com or google FFDSHOW postprocessing. HTPCNews also has some screenshots in their guide to using ffdshow. The guide is dated a bit, but still good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom