Media Center - Performance pressure (1 Viewer)

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Is there a list of suggested services/options etc in to disable in winXP for mediaportal?

This would be excellent supplemental info for the doc or wiki or something.

This was actually something discussed within the team a while back, but there are some problems with writing a recommended services list - namely the fact that certain services are only required depending on what you use your HTPC for.

For example, disabling the "themes" service can save you anywhere from 5mb to 20mb of RAM depending on your system, but some people use their regular desktop interface from the couch, while others like me never leave the MP interface.

other services like the "computer browser" and "server" service will allow your HTPC to search for and have computers connect to it for file sharing. if you send files to your HTPC a different way, or not at all, then these services can be disabled saving even more system resources.

These are just examples, but there are many more services that may/may not be needed depending on what you use your HTPC for. My recommendation would be to read up on an XP services guide: http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm and determine what services you can disable, and what ones you should leave running.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    I agree with GXTracker.

One service that I thinke veryone should stop though, is the indexing service.
    Even when you disable all indexing in the drive's properties the service still runs, using almost as many resources to just sit there and do nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom