Media Portal as shell (safe way) (1 Viewer)

marcel.romard

January 11, 2006
you can set mediaportal as the shell without editing the registery

simply goto start --> run and type gpedit.msc then press ok which will bring up the group policy editor

navigate to the following Path

user configuration
|__Administrative Templates
...|__System

now in the right side of the window there will be a policy item called custom user interface

you can now enable this policy and enter the path to the mediaportal exe

this has been tested to work under windows xp

bigal

Portal Pro
September 18, 2005
Gothenburg
I'm working on an frontend-plugin for MP to skip using Explorer but there is alot of problems with it. One of them is that DX isn't initiated if you skip explorer...anf therefor can't start MP

/BigAl

shuttlegeek

January 9, 2006
Okay said:
Is this a "user" setting, or for every XP account

It is a user specific setting, so you could create an account to use MP as default shell, and another with standard explorer as shell.

Remember you can still launch other programs via the Task Manager (CTRL-ALT-DEL)

bigal

Portal Pro
September 18, 2005
Gothenburg
shuttlegeek said:
It is a user specific setting, so you could create an account to use MP as default shell, and another with standard explorer as shell

How have you done to make MP work as shell?

when my plugin in aktivated MP becomes the shell but when it's loading an error about DX device appears, saying that there is no device (or something, I have made an post of this in the test-forum)

/BigAl

bigal

Portal Pro
September 18, 2005
Gothenburg
0degreez said:
I have tested it and it works

I have also tested it but I had to reinstall my computer...Can you give me an 1,2,3 of how to do because when i did what he said it didn't work

when you use the thing he is using, you do not have MP as a shell. you have his program as a shell. But if it is fast and takes no systemspecs I will try it again

here is what happends if you use MP as a real shell:
http://mediaportal.elite-squad.net/forum/showthread.php?t=292

I have no problem with login, the problem is DX.

/BigAl

slick

Portal Member
August 10, 2005
Switzerland
well as for myself i'm using a shell replacement that's called emerge desktop
Emerge is very simplistic and for my opinion the most stable shell available (i 'm using it for around 2 Years at home and at work)

So if you than use a good file manager like 2Explorer or something like this you don't even need explorer as file manager

I you want to take a closer look goto :
http://emergedesktop.org/

regards

slick

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom