Media Portal Editor - Input requested... (1 Viewer)

mofux

Portal Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Dresden, Germany
    joe, i think it is very important that every attribute of a control is listed and editable and that colors are saved correctly (with alphachannel). there have been some issues with that in the older version.

having all attributes editable would of course make xml files much larger, so there should be a (default) option which wouldn't be saved if the attribute wasn't edited

that are my wishes to make the editor usable. i'm happy that someone is doing work on the editor as i think it's very important to have an editor to get more skinners developing skins for mp.

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Joe - I think you and Harley need to talk in depth about what features are missing, what items could be improved upon, etc.

Mike

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    Austria
    JoeDalton said:
    The new version does not really have new features. I fixed a few multi-threading issues and I converted the project to .NET 2.0.

I'm planning to do more work on it in the future. I have one problem though: I am no skinner, so I don't know what is missing, what could be better, ...
    So tell me your hopes and dreams (regarding the SkinEditor :wink: ) and I'll do my best to make it happen... Together we can make this a better tool...

Joe

One thing I'd like to see is to have the editor 'automagically' resize/convert a skin to a widescreen version. This would enable 'skinners' to create a skin once but have two versions, 'widescreen' and 'Letterbox'.

Great work on the editor BTW! :D

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Marty said:
    ...One thing I'd like to see is to have the editor 'automagically' resize/convert a skin to a widescreen version. This would enable 'skinners' to create a skin once but have two versions, 'widescreen' and 'Letterbox'.

Great work on the editor BTW! :D

This has been one thing that puzzles me. Knowing that you (well none of us) wants the graphic pictures to be disproportionately changed (squeezed or stretched) due to the resolution change, how would be the best way to make the program "magically" change the skin to make up the difference? There must be some logic behind it to allow a programmer to create the magic.

Just looking for suggestions since I have seen this more than once and was wondering what magical thoughts came to mind. (Not really being sarcastic, just looking for ideas).

Mike

Portal Member
    December 20, 2005
    Austria
    Hi Mike,

Yes, I should have given you some ideas shouldn't I? Sorry about that.

I'd guess that any sort of automatic image adjustment is out of scope for an XML editor however I think skinners would be happy enough with automatic resizing of controls and layout (I know I would :D). Things such as widening horizontal scroll bars and lists (such as in the EPG). Some height adjustment may be necessary for vertical scroll bars, etc. as well.

These automatic adjustments would allow skinners to concentrate on their 'art' and less on 'widths & heights'.

You could probably use tags (for each control) in the editor that would allow skinners to define what controls can be resized automatically and which to leave alone. Obviously these tags (attributes) are unneeded in the finished skin so perhaps they could be stored in a separate file (aka an INI/project file)?

Anyway, I hope I have been a bit of help and I really think the developers are doing a fantastic job, not only with the editor but with the whole Mediaportal system.

I actually work as a (dreaded) Software Tester so if you would like someone to help iron out any 'undocumented features' :wink:, feel free to PM me.

Regards,

Marty.

wertzui

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 2, 2005
    my requests:
    -have a preview option to see what the skin actually looks like
    -better support for overlayboxes (atm they appear in the editor to be fullscreen)
    -better support to import own graphics (locate new files placed in the Media-direcory automatic)
    -make it possible to change all the values, sometimes you cant change an autoresize etc. from false to true.
    -make it possible to use strg+c and strg+v
    -better support for adding new controlls to screens/xml-files
    -make it possible to edit graphics with a programm like photoshop while they are loaded in the editor (atm you cant save the images if the skin is opened)

that woudl be all for now ;)

mofux

Portal Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2006
    Dresden, Germany
    wertzui wrote:
    ...-make it possible to edit graphics with a programm like photoshop while they are loaded in the editor (atm you cant save the images if the skin is opened)

i think this is very important for usability as you have to restart the editor everytime you have edited a picture to save it :(

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    Marty said:
    ...I'd guess that any sort of automatic image adjustment is out of scope for an XML editor however I think skinners would be happy enough with automatic resizing of controls and layout (I know I would :D). Things such as widening horizontal scroll bars and lists (such as in the EPG). Some height adjustment may be necessary for vertical scroll bars, etc. as well.

These automatic adjustments would allow skinners to concentrate on their 'art' and less on 'widths & heights'.

You could probably use tags (for each control) in the editor that would allow skinners to define what controls can be resized automatically and which to leave alone. Obviously these tags (attributes) are unneeded in the finished skin so perhaps they could be stored in a separate file (aka an INI/project file)? ...

I wish some skinners would add their 2 cents to this thread.

I've done a little (very little) bit of graphics work (more playing than working) but I'm thinking (please don't think that I am bashing I am not, just trying to get creative juices flowing in an open environment - sometimes that can lead to trouble I know) that changing the graphic size/proportion may lead to more trouble.

Anyway - I was thinking about the process of morphing a skin into a different resolutions and what issues could/may/would appear. I was thinking that most of the time what is needed is approximate placement of the graphics/tags/buttons/etc in a relatively same location as was the original skin, not changing the proportion of the graphic. --Please bear with me as I try to think this through, I could be wrong-- If the original skin was smaller in resolution than the new skin, this new placement idea I have should work. Starting out you would probably need to define where to mark as the orginal point to move the graphic/tag/button from. I could see left edge, or the upper/left corner, but would there be other locations maybe? It would be nice if that could be interactive - I meant making the choice of what is the anchor and see where the new loaction of the graphic/tag/buttons would occur. I was thinking also it would be nice to have window with the tags/graphic/buttons maybe with three columns of check boxes (maybe more) where you could choose if you wanted the tag/graphic/button place in relationship to the 0,0 (upper left corner) or 0,y (left edge only), or none (don't change). At the top you could select all (only exclusive of the three) items for them (to save time) - like preselecting (checking) all them, then you could go back and unselect certain items.

Is there enough info to give you an idea (without creating a mock prototype) of what I am thinking?

If this sounds too far fetched then ok.

Mike

smnnekho

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 6, 2006
    Germany
    WHERE IS IT GONE?

i always used the download link on harley skinpage. i recently did a clean install and for some things the editor is still handy so i wanted to download it again, but the link seemes to be broken by now?? has anyone a working link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom