Media Portal freezes on wake (5 Viewers)

Jeffrios

Portal Member
July 29, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have searched and haven't seen others with this issue. I though it was the skin, but I changed that and it still happens.

Windows 10

When the computer wakes to record a show media portal will either be blank or frozen. The show will record just fine, but media portal will need to be forced closed and re opened. The process is annoying.

I created logs via watch dog. I hope this is what you need.

osksa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2015
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm no expert, but I had this problem too but on Windows 7. I read somewhere, can't find where right now, that it can be caused by putting the computer to sleep by other means than Powerscheduler. If you use Powerscheduler, perhaps you could try if it happens if it is Powerscheduler that initiates sleep, not windows nor manually. Just make sure that the sleep setting for Powerscheduler is more aggressive than windows own. Might help. Just my 5 cents...

Jeffrios

Portal Member
    July 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Yes, Power Scheduler is set to sleep the computer. Now, what about if I manually put it to sleep?

If I do it manually and wake it, I don't seem to have issues.

osksa

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 18, 2015
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Ok. Manual sleep = no issues, but issues when powerscheduler does the sleeping? Then I don't know, Sorry, you will have to wait for the cavallery. =)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Jeffrios
    Have you confirmed that MediaPortal has focus? If MediaPortal does not have focus then it won't receive the button/key presses and would appear like it is frozen when it actually is not.
    Also, is it possible to test what happens if you ensure the TV is on before waking MediaPortal?

Jeffrios

Portal Member
    July 29, 2015
    Home Country
    When you say, does MP Have focus. Do you mean has it minimized? When I turn on the TV I try to Alt-Tab to see if I can get it, but nothing happens. I usually have to bring up task manager to close the program.

What about the "Always on Top" feature, should I set that ON?

I will test it with the TV left on and report back.[DOUBLEPOST=1446381730][/DOUBLEPOST]I just ran a test with the TV left on. MP's feature "ALways on Top" west set to ON.

The PC woke via Power Scheduler, the TV was showing a signal, but the screen was black. I moved the cursor and I saw MP. I could not interact with the program, but I was hearing the sound effects of something happening. I tried to alt-tab, nothing gave me control of MP. I could hear a sound when I clicked, but once again nothing visually responded to me.

UPDATE
    If I wake the PC with the TV OFF or ON manually. I have issues. I have a new log where I made it sleep and wake manually. Media Portal eventually crashed.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Jeffrios
    When you say, does MP Have focus. Do you mean has it minimized?
    No. I meant: does Windows know it is the active application/window? ALT+TAB toggles which window is focussed.

What about the "Always on Top" feature, should I set that ON?
    I don't think it will help.

I have a new log where I made it sleep and wake manually. Media Portal eventually crashed.
    In this case MP seems to be locked up somewhere here:
    https://github.com/MediaPortal/Medi...Portal.Application/MediaPortal.cs#L2849-L2883

Unfortunately the log verbosity was not set to debug since you used the Watchdog with option 3. Please set log verbosity to debug and post log files again for the same scenario:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/00_Configuration/11_General#Log_verbosity

Jeffrios

Portal Member
    July 29, 2015
    Home Country
    does Windows know it is the active application/window?
    I don't know how to answer this question, or how to check this.
    In the logs below, I started them at 12:55. The computer goes to sleep via my command. At 12:58 the computer wakes from power scheduler.
    The MP program is unresponsive, but NOT "not responding" according to Task Manager. I can see the home menu, and I can hear the sound effect of selecting something when I click, but nothing changes visually.

At this point I push the sleep button on the htpc. The computer doesn't sleep but the monitor turns off. I push the button again, and MP is now operational. ~12:59

Something is preventing me from operating the program on resume.

Now, not in the logs from my earlier tests.
    I could sleep and resume mp 10+ times and eventually the problem described above would occur. Eventually the program would crash. The best way to reproduce this issue is when my computer wakes on the schedule and not manually.

Yes, I am running the software as an admin.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    does Windows know it is the active application/window?
    I don't know how to answer this question...
    You know what ALT+TAB does, right?
    When you use ALT+TAB to select an application, that makes the application active. Another way of saying this is that it focusses the application. That's what I'm talking about when I ask "does MP have focus" or "is it the active application/window".

...or how to check this.
    You already checked it by testing ALT+TAB. Nothing further needs to be done. That was what I was trying to say.

At this point I push the sleep button on the htpc. The computer doesn't sleep but the monitor turns off.
    That is called "away mode". Away mode is used because TV Server is recording "Formula One Racing". If standby/hibernate were allowed, the recording would not succeed.

Something is preventing me from operating the program on resume.
    The difference between the 2 scenarios is quite clear in the log files.

In the first case ("not working") Windows tells MP that it has "resumed automatically" (which means that you didn't trigger the resume). We both know this is correct because PowerScheduler woke the computer in order to record Formula One. In this scenario - automatic resume for recording or EPG grabbing - MP does not activate the user interface. It's unnecessary if there's nobody actually there wanting to use MP, and usually the display/screen/TV is off.

When you start clicking etc., Windows is meant to tell MP that it has fully resumed from suspend (ie. that there's now somebody actively using the PC). Windows does not do this, and that's the problem. Without that notification, the MP user interface remains inactive and unresponsive. Windows does indirectly tells MP that you're "providing input", but this is not enough to get MP to activate the interface.

In the second case ("working"), Windows does what it's expected to do and notifies MP that it was triggered to fully resume from suspend by you. MP knows that it needs to activate the interface, and so everything works properly.

Now, not in the logs from my earlier tests.
    I could sleep and resume mp 10+ times and eventually the problem described above would occur. Eventually the program would crash. The best way to reproduce this issue is when my computer wakes on the schedule and not manually.
    I think this is a different problem. Your earlier log files show something different to these latest log files. Please let's try and focus on one thing at a time.

Yes, I am running the software as an admin.
    Okay... but not relevant.

Jeffrios

Portal Member
    July 29, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for your help. Yes, when I encounter this issue, Alt-Tab is and has been my go-to. It doesn't help to make MP "active"

When you start clicking etc., Windows is meant to tell MP that it has fully resumed from suspend (ie. that there's now somebody actively using the PC). Windows does not do this, and that's the problem. Without that notification, the MP user interface remains inactive and unresponsive. Windows does indirectly tells MP that you're "providing input", but this is not enough to get MP to activate the interface.

Yes, this is the problem. What else can I provide to help find a solution?

I found this thread today. I don't know if this is a similar problem to what I am expiriencing.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mp1-4578-crashes-after-standby.129964/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom