Media Portal has suddenly gone FUBAR (1 Viewer)

wmcftw

Portal Member
November 2, 2014
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Using the one click option. I will use the watchdog to upload any future logs if it does not work. It says a lot that I could not find that tool because I have only had minor problems which I have been able to fix myself until the last week. The total uninstall took 9 mins

I am patient- but Mepo just went batshit of its own accord- if this happens again, I will have to abandon it (on this laptop) it is flawless on my windows 8.1 PC

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The total uninstall took 9 mins
    That is unusual... but then, the laptop's Windows experience index is not all that high, and I have no idea what other stuff could be running in the background. Your main OS HDD is a 5400 rpm... which is slow.

wmcftw

Portal Member
    November 2, 2014
    Home Country
    I appreciate what you mean about the possible user error. But, one day I went to bed with it working perfectly and the next day, two failed recordings and the whole system was effed up. Maybe Windows 7 and Mepo do not mix? It has taken 15 mins so far at attempting to reinstall,just one more thing on the list. If it does not complete it within the next five mins. I will leave it overnight and update you in the morning. I appreciate your help and quick response. Sometimes gremlins just sabotage things[DOUBLEPOST=1414969663][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay- the installation is lagging and this appeared
    fCa59c6.png
    [DOUBLEPOST=1414969829][/DOUBLEPOST]
    x9zhMWW.png
    [DOUBLEPOST=1414969933][/DOUBLEPOST]I tried to generate the watchdog reporting thing- but mepo had not yet finished being configured. This is draining. I will post back here tomorrow

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I appreciate what you mean about the possible user error. But, one day I went to bed with it working perfectly and the next day, two failed recordings and the whole system was effed up.
    When I said "user error" I was answering your question about the installer. It was not intended to be an explanation of the cause of the failed recordings and the other stuff that has followed.
    With regard to the original issue (failed recordings etc.): I won't even begin to speculate about what might have caused this. I've got nothing to go on except your comments, which are not specific enough to deduce anything (no offence intended). So many things can (and do!) go wrong with Windows/PCs in general, and TV Server is also quite complex software with lots of potential failure conditions.

Maybe Windows 7 and Mepo do not mix?
    Unlikely. Thousands of people have and/or are using MP on W7.

wmcftw

Portal Member
    November 2, 2014
    Home Country
    I think it's time to let the fate fairy win........ I am totally baffled as to what caused this random malfunction.

0mXKLNk.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I think it's time to let the fate fairy win........ I am totally baffled as to what caused this random malfunction.
    So does that mean you're giving up?

Regarding the screenshot: that is 100% normal when you haven't used MP configuration. Simply open MP configuration (select basic or expert mode - doesn't matter), then click OK. Now you'll be able to run the watchdog without that message.

wmcftw

Portal Member
    November 2, 2014
    Home Country
    I am not annoyed at your speculations as to what could have possibly gone wrong. I also appreciate that without logs or at least more information you could never attempt to surmise what could have colllapsed the system.

I have spent at least 6 hours on this today and at least 20 this week. I hate being beaten and really appreciate your help.

But, what can I do? It works on my Windows 8 pc like a charm. But I am running out of options when it won't even install. How can we resolve this?[DOUBLEPOST=1414970743][/DOUBLEPOST]You have been tremendously helpful, I will have to leave things for tomorrow and will do some more trouble shooting tomorrow- before I give up

I appreciate your help. Please know that!

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But I am running out of options when it won't even install.
    This is new information to me.
    As explained above: the screenshot you posted doesn't show an install failure.

How can we resolve this?
    Ultimately if you want to give up that is absolutely a valid decision. I can imagine your frustration after spending so many hours.
    If you want to persist and can set up a TeamViewer connection (takes no more than 2 minutes - promise) then I will happily connect and try and get MP into a running state where you can start configuring it etc.
    It is up to you. :)

wmcftw

Portal Member
    November 2, 2014
    Home Country
    Having slept on this and spoken to a work colleague whose response was 'Why are you even bothering, if it is so much hassle'? I have decided to give it one more go. I can't even generate a watchdog report. How did this all just deteriorate so rapidly?

Why am I always getting this message and what does it even mean?
    gZI0GGl.png
    [DOUBLEPOST=1415041293][/DOUBLEPOST]Here are the latest logs

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have decided to give it one more go.
    Okay. :)

I can't even generate a watchdog report.
    I guess from the log files you read my post and figured this out.

How did this all just deteriorate so rapidly?
    As per previous posts: I don't know, and I have no way to know.

Why am I always getting this message and what does it even mean?
    Okay, so now we're cooking with gas! :)

The log files show that TV Server is installed, which is a great start.
    They also show the reason for the message:
    [2014-11-03 18:52:25,491] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: started at Henry1971-PC
    [2014-11-03 18:52:25,493] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.100.56
    [2014-11-03 18:52:25,617] [Log ] [TVService] [ERROR] - Controller: sorry, master/slave server setups are not supported. Since there is already another server in the db, we exit here.
    [2014-11-03 18:52:25,639] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: DeInit.

In other words, despite all your uninstalling and reinstalling it looks like your TV Server database (where all the TV Server settings, channels etc. are stored) has been kept. The database is expecting TV Server to be running on a PC with a specific name and IP address. Your current PC name and/or IP address don't match what is expected... and this is causing TV Server to fail to start successfully.

How to fix:
    1. Download and install an SQL editor. Since you're using MySQL, probably easiest to use MySQL Workbench. Get it -->here<-- (click "no thanks, just start my download" towards the bottom of the page).

2. Once installed, run it. You should see a screen something like this:
    upload_2014-11-4_11-26-5.png

3. Double click on "local instance..." under "open connection to start querying" on the left. Now you'll be prompted for your root user password:
    upload_2014-11-4_11-27-21.png

In a database installed by MediaPortal (which yours almost certainly is), the root user password is MediaPortal (case sensitive).
    Click OK.

4. You should now see the editor, which looks like this:
    upload_2014-11-4_11-29-7.png

In the "query 1" section enter:

UPDATE Server SET hostName = 'Henry1971-PC' WHERE idServer = 1

Now click on the first lightning bolt symbol to run the update.

At this point TV Server should be able to start up successfully. Restart your PC and everything should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom