Media Portal is not mouse friendly v1.2.3 & v1.3.0RC (1 Viewer)

Hartz

Portal Member
August 17, 2010
Brisbane
Home Country
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.3

Description
I tried to search for these issues but could not find anything. Apologies if I am duplicating reports.
1) When using Media Portal v1.2.3 with only a mouse, navigating between menu options on the welcome screen does not feel natural. For instance, moving the mouse slightly higher or lower to scroll between options, then you have to bring the mouse back to center to keep the desired option before you can select it.
2) Based on the above I decided to try v1.3.0RC with the new Titan Extended theme. The menu system here feels much nicer for both MCE remote and mouse only use, however, when using the mouse to select TV you have to select the TV option, a right-hand popup menu is then displayed. When you move the mouse over to the popup (or even still over the same TV menu option) the popup itself disappears, making it impossible to select any TV option without either a remote or a keyboard. I have had the same results on two PC's, one running Windows 7, the other running Windows 8.
I am happy to provide further details if required.

Steps to Reproduce:
v1.3.0RC - attempt to enter the TV section using only a mouse without scroll wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I also find a mouse a bit frustrating to use but I think the default-wide skin is a bit easier to use than titan.

I have a logitech mouse and use the setpoint utility to let me program the mouse wheel buttons

wheel left-click and right-click send the left and right arrow keys, I use this to skip forward/back in time when watching video
    wheel-click sends "enter", I use that to get past the Titan TV button, left button then wheel-click

RicoHTPC

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 4, 2011
    Cuxhaven
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well I guess as a developer you have to choose what input device has priority and for a mediacenter I think
    it's the right decission to give remotes and keyboard this priority...

Hartz

Portal Member
    August 17, 2010
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Can't we have both? I don't understand why all three input devices shouldn't be given equal priority.

Yes it is a HTPC where users typically have a remote, however it is also a computer where users will almost definitely have a keyboard and a mouse. Some may have wireless keyboard & touchpad mouse combinations, in my case I have a standard wireless mouse that is useless in navigating the front menu. It's a mouse - not something out of the ordinary like a joystick.

I could buy a remote, however then I will have another device on the table that I didn't really need. The keyboard and mouse are already there for browsing so it makes sense that they work properly.

Anyway, the powers to be can decide whether this gets accepted as a fault or not. I still love the software and really appreciate TMP for the hard work that they have put in to it.

andrewNZ

Portal Member
    March 31, 2010
    Dunedin
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal Config > Plugins > Home (plugin) > Fix Scroll bar.

It might make it better, it might make it worse. Depends what you're after.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah titan skin still has bugs related to using mouse, from memory some of them are related to the actual MP code, hopefully these problems will be fixed with the final 1.3 release. I believe the goal is for the default skins (default/defaultwide/titan) to work with a mouse, even though the main focus of MePo is to have a GUI that works well and can do everything using just remote control buttons alone (ie a keyboard or remote).

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    ... when using the mouse to select TV you have to select the TV option, a right-hand popup menu is then displayed. When you move the mouse over to the popup (or even still over the same TV menu option) the popup itself disappears, making it impossible to select any TV option without either a remote or a keyboard.
    @ncoH @dlarge500 could you comment on this? Is this intended behavior for mouse usage?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    The Titan TV SubMenus make it difficult to enter TV using a mouse. For mouse users it would be nice if Titan had a config option to disable to the SubMenus so a mouse click would bring you into the TV-Home. I needed to program the Mouse "wheel click" = Enter to use Titan with a mouse.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The Titan TV SubMenus make it difficult to enter TV using a mouse.
    Kind of an understatement :D Makes entering the TV Section with mouse impossible for me :oops:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom