Media Portal setup (1 Viewer)

Charles Pittman

July 7, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I want to use Media Portal primarily to watch live TV, record TV shows, and to watch the recordings. I am using win 8.1 and have Win Media Center installed. I am using Norton Security as my virus program. I have tried installing MePo several times without success. I have a Ceton 6 tuner box and when I get to scanning the tuners only tuners find 550 channels the others say locked out and found no channels. The channels that are found by the 2 tuners show a red T vice a green T as shown in the instructions. When I preview any of the channels I get a good picture and sound. I have tried installing MePo with my firewall turned off and Norton disabled and I have tried installing with them both on and there is no difference. Also, I can't find how to setup a TV guide. I would appreciate some help with my setup.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Charles :)

I have a Ceton 6 tuner box and when I get to scanning the tuners only tuners find 550 channels the others say locked out and found no channels.
    Sorry, I don't understand.

Are you saying that you were able to scan with some tuners but not others?
    ...or are you saying you expected more channels to be found?
    ...or something else?

Also, I can't find how to setup a TV guide.
    Our wiki covers this.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

The methods that are applicable for you are:
    1. XMLTV + mc2xml.
    2. IMDB, WebEPG.
    3. SchedulesDirect plugin.
    Recommendations are from highest (XMLTV + mc2xml) to lowest (SD plugin).

The first option is free if you use the Microsoft legacy data, or $25 per year (with free trial) if you use ScheduleDirect data. It's a little time consuming to setup (maybe an hour, depending on how many channels you have), but I highly recommend it because it's the most flexible option.

The second option is also free, and also a bit time consuming to setup. The only reason I don't highly recommend it is because the setup is a bit too technical for some people. Ultimately it works, so it's an option.

The 3rd costs $25 per year for the SchedulesDirect subscription (same as first option) data. I don't recommend it because it is confusing and hard to get the guide data to match up with the channels properly. My advice is not to use this unless you really have to. If you like the SchedulesDirect data quality then you can pull that in via the first option (XMLTV + mc2xml).

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask questions. Around here it's far better to ask than waste time banging your head against a problem for hours. :)

Regards,
    mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom