Media Portal Shutting off Display (1 Viewer)

har02052

June 13, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I recently installed MP 1.11. The main reason that I installed it is because I have considered upgrading to Win10 but I use MediaCenter for recording live TV. I have MP set up pretty well. I am only using MP as a DVR. All of the recordings are then placed into a folder that is monitored by another program, MCE Buddy, that then takes the recordings and converts them to MP4 video files rather than the space wasting .ts files that MP uses. It then places the files into a folder that is monitored by my Plex server. I know, it seems like a convoluted system, but it works well for me and my family. My question right now is that I can't seem to get MP to stop shutting off the display and putting the HTPC into standby mode. I use the HTPC as both a front end for my TV but also a Plex server. I need it to be on all the time. I want the HTPC to stay awake so that I can remote stream whenever I want. I also don't want to shut off the display. My TV is a Vizio Smart TV. If it senses that there is no signal from the source, it shuts off the TV. It is just annoying to have to go turn the TV back on each time I want to use the HTPC. Unless there is a way to be able to have the HTPC turn the TV on through the HDMI, I would rather have the screen saver and keep the TV on.
My problem is that I can't seem to get the settings correctly in order to keep things on. In the TV Server Configuration, Plugins, PowerScheduler, General, I have the Profile set to HTPC and "Put the computer to sleep in 0 minutes" so that it shouldn't put it to sleep. But it still does. I also checked the Windows settings to make sure that those settings were correct. Currently they are set to never turn off the display and never turn off the computer. Unfortunately the computer still turns off though.

Ideally, I would like to keep the computer on all the time and if I could turn the TV back on after it turns the display back on that would be great. Otherwise, I want to keep both the computer and the TV on all the time. Thanks in advance.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

har02052

June 13, 2015
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I understand the concept of a .ts just being a container. I guess I should have given a better explanation to the fact that MP is a great TV recorder, like many recorders it is great at sacrificing size for the sake of being able to record live television on the fly. All recorders have to sacrifice something, whether it is speed, size, and/or image quality. In order to be efficient at live TV recording, the default options in MP results in a large .ts file. That is fine with me, because as I stated earlier, I use MCE Buddy to monitor the recording folder and it then re-encodes it to a much smaller file size and utilizes my ample CPU speed and puts it into MP4 format in order to watch it on Plex.

As for the PowerScheduler shutting off my display. I honestly didn't even think about disabling the plugin. That would have been the obvious and easiest answer. Face, meet Palm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom