Media Portal won't upgrade or fresh install (1 Viewer)

piccirilli

Portal Member
September 24, 2009
I've been running 1.15 for months and needing to update from the download page. When I attempted to install 1.16, I got a message saying I cannot update from an existing GIT build...hmm.. never had this issue updating with standard builds.
So I uninstalled 1.15. Unfortunately I chose to keep my settings. Now, I get the same message, preventing installation. I tried cleaning files and registry, but to no avail. There must be a registry entry hidden somewhere I cannot find.
Any suggestions how I can clean up my pc to load a fresh copy of MP? Is there a utility to do this?

piccirilli

Portal Member
September 24, 2009
The file I installed was 'MediaPortalSetup_1.15.0_Final' from the main download page.
Is there a work around to install a fresh copy of MP when it thinks there is a GIT version installed? I can't even reinstall 1.15.0, getting same message.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is there a work around to install a fresh copy of MP when it thinks there is a GIT version installed? I can't even reinstall 1.15.0, getting same message.

The usual one is to use something like 7-Zip to unpack the zip file (e.g. MediaPortalSetup_1.16.0_Final.zip), then use it again to unpack 'MediaPortalSetup_1.16.0_Final.exe'. After that you should have a 'deploy' folder - inside there should be the installers for MP Client ('package-mediaportal.exe') and TV Server ('package-tvengine.exe'). Install 'package-mediaportal.exe' first, then 'package-tvengine.exe'.

Note - doing the install this way means it may not automatically check for any other software updates or extra software required, so it's only really suitable for updating an existing installation, but it might enable you to re-install MP 1.15 at least. (MP 1.15 installer is here - https://sourceforge.net/projects/mediaportal/files/MediaPortal Setup/MediaPortal 1.15.0/MediaPortalSetup_1.15.0_Final.zip/download )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom