Media Portal (1 Viewer)

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
To anyone who has even remotely helped in the creation, modification, and improvement of Media Portal.....

YOU'RE ALL AMAZING!!! KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING!! FUCK THE IDIOTS!! LET THEM WHINE AND COMPLAIN WHEN THEIR PETTY LITTLE REQUESTS GO UNANSWERED!!!

And on a serious note.......FUCK THE IDIOTS!! LOL

Anyone who has taken the time to help improve Media Portal deserves more then a pat on the back.....but unfortunately most of the time, there is little if any, recognition passed out. It's far too easy to complain, then it is to compliment.

To those people putting in feature requests, after feature requests, after feature requests.......ARE YOU EVER FUCKING HAPPY??? You know who you are, and you're the ones which caused Smirnoff to leave. Feel guilty yet? No? I'm not done yet!!!

I only wish I had the programming skills to help with Media Portal, and tell some of you idiots that your requests are moronic, petty, and useful only to you!

Yes this is a rant, yes this is directed at the inept people who can't take the time to figure things out for themselves and depend on others to hold their hand through life.

Once again......to those who have provided help, assistance, programming, and countless other additions to Media Portal, and the community.....THANK YOU!!! Keep up the incredible work!!!

GitsLM

Portal Member
October 19, 2004
Germany / USA
Frustration seems to be today on everyones mind - which I totally understand. It is very sad that one of the programmers is leaving because of us, the users. I am reading the forum since the initial release and I am absolutly amased by how many peolpe asking over and over the same questions, do not use standart templates and request features over features without even checking if they might already exist.

But frustration should not be followed by blindly offend every MP user. Instead we should think together on how we might improve the project in a way that serves both, the programmers and the users. I might be wrong on that but somehow I learned that improvement is the intelligent way to reach a certain goal.

So therefore what could we do to improve the situation ? Any suggestions ? And if so, would the one suggestiong something also be voluntarily take over the work he/she suggesting ?

In my opinion there should be definatelly a code of behaviour implemented here: bitching about programmers, development or the speed of implementation should result in a deletion of the thread and a bann of the user. I have seen that already in other boards and I think this might be a good idea. I would also volunteer to do that on behalf of the board if necessary.

There should also be a sticky note in the feature request section of the board which lists all feature requests. If someone requests a feature which is already in the list bann him/her for a week or a month from the forum to make clear that programms which are for free do not imply to waste other peoples time. I would also volunteer to keep that list up to date.

Just so to let you guys know, I started a C# training but I am sure that usable code will not be available from me for at least another 3 month or so :)

Thanks Smirnuff for all the help and the great results. I hope you will watch the forum for a while and see how things get better and better and maybe find again, someday in the future enough motivation to come back and help develop a great application.

Thanks to all the other devs out there. I highly appreciate would you do daily to ensure a perfect success of this project.

broadband412

Portal Pro
April 20, 2005
New Yrok
Wow sorry to hear this. It is sad to see a developer leave because of the very users who he or she is trying to satisfy. Maybe this program is not for everybody and if that this the case the person should either a come to realize that this program may be too technologically advanced for them or b really willing to learn and understand the program. For Heavens sake there is a manual in pdf format that is about 8MB in size with pictues. That is how detailled it is. The manual is very helpful and that is surprising to me because for one this software is free. On The other hand you'd be suprised with some other software including commercial software that there is either very little manual included or none at all. And to be honest, I really don't understand what more can people ask for from the developers from Mediaportal. I mean come on, you get Movie Descriptions with actor,Director, and Year, for watching movies stored on your hard drive and if that wasn't enough you now also get Complete Detailed Information on the Episodes Stored In Your Hard Drive. This is unheard of. I never heard of any other program providing this feature. Me being me, I like to try out all diferent kinds of programs including HTPC software and I am yet to find a program as feature rich as Mediaportal. People on here complain that Mediaportal is buggy, crashes, etc but to the contruary, I have found that this is not so. I have tried other programs one in particular Got All Media and that program was buggy as heck. Now, mind you, this program is at version 5. Not at version 0.5 but at 5.0. We're talking a program that once used to charge and suddenly stopped charging. Now all of a sudden, the web site seems to have changed and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the Got All Media Software but that's beside that point. This does not have anything to do with Mediaportal but the fact is that that program seems to have vansidhed and I seriously hope the impaitinet, non savy users don't make Mediaportal want to go by bye. Come To realize that nothing is perfect and that there will always be one thing about everything you not going to like or that it will always seem that something is missing from this or that. If Mediaportal is not for you, don't use it. If features are what you feel are missing from Mediaportal, ask in the forums but don't keep on doing so. Be Paitient and don't whine. Nuff said.

Jetboy

Portal Pro
April 15, 2005
Stockholm
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
GitsLM said:
There should also be a sticky note in the feature request section of the board which lists all feature requests. If someone requests a feature which is already in the list bann him/her for a week or a month from the forum to make clear that programms which are for free do not imply to waste other peoples time. I would also volunteer to keep that list up to date.

I'd say thats a great idea! If you've got the time/patience to keep the list up to date, I think that's super. Maybe with a link to the post where each feature was requested, so any discussion can continue there. (Here I go requesting things again...) And once a requested feature is implemented, it can be marked in some way on the list. In time, that would grow to a pretty good feature list.

And last of all, a big THANK YOU to all the dev team for the work you've done, and for still improving this brilliant software even further!

stevepmcg

December 9, 2005
Clarksville Tn
Broadband,

On your gotallmedia post. Just so you know I think the guy just got rid of the www.gotallmedia.com weblink. If you go to http://www.gallm.com/ you will find it is still alive and kicking. I am checking everything out in preparation of putting in my pvr-500 (been sitting in box for week now while I finished classes) and am wanting to test most out to get the HTPC software I like. On side note Mediaportal ranks in top 3. am looking at Mythtv, mediaportal and possibly meedio (esp since pro is only 40 bucks at moment)

GitsLM

Portal Member
October 19, 2004
Germany / USA
Jetboy said:
GitsLM said:

I'd say thats a great idea! If you've got the time/patience to keep the list up to date, I think that's super. Maybe with a link to the post where each feature was requested, so any discussion can continue there. (Here I go requesting things again...) And once a requested feature is implemented, it can be marked in some way on the list. In time, that would grow to a pretty good feature list.

And last of all, a big THANK YOU to all the dev team for the work you've done, and for still improving this brilliant software even further!

I woundnt mind doing that. The last words is still with the project owner. So guys what do you think about it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom