Media Renamer [v2.0 2009-07-21] (1 Viewer)

ccMatrix

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Hi ccMatrix,

I've used your App for a while and we spoke on email a while ago about the Automatic functions.

I know of 3 programs like yours so far and all 3 of you seem to be in the same situation. Working/Studying alot and getting little time to work on and include the features you want to on your programs.

WHy don't you guys get together and pool your resources as you all seem to have your Pro's and Con's and are all working on the same things essentially.

There is another program called Epnamer you can find here - http://www.epnamer.com/ with its own forum

And there is another by Rob Meerman here - http://www.robmeerman.co.uk/coding/file_renamer#contact_the_author

All have their own followers who don't seem to know about the others. If the 3 of your pooled your efforts you would have a kick ass app!

Well while this is in theory a good idea there are some problems with it. For one the file renamer is written in perl while my application is written in C# so the code isn't compatible. The file renamer also seems to have a more use-action based approach. The epnamer would look better since it is written in C#. The app currently isn't open source so I do not know if the code is compatible. I'm thinking about contacting the author if he might be interested in joining media renamer. What he has is a larger userbase probably because of the own domain.
I personally don't think that it is so bad to have three apps doing the same thing. It would be worse to have them join into one and have only one but deserted project. I would however welcome other developers who might like one of the apps to join in and help in the development. As I mentioned I have a project set up on code.google.com which should make it very easy to colaborate on the documentation and source code.

Benjamin

HexusOdy

October 24, 2007
Yep I noticed that too before I posted, but although Rob's current program is in Perl he still may be able to work in C#.

Its just a thought, as you same Epnamer may be a simpler solution as your programs are quite similar. I think you have better code at the moment but he has more/different options on the front end. And a site to wrap everything up in one place.

I'm sure your programs wont fit together like 2 peices of a jigsaw but would be able to get twice as much done with 2 experienced heads :) Plus with a site thats more visible there is more chance of finding more people to join in.

Just a thought :)

I think there is a huge call for an App to do what yours is doing but nobody is out there at the moment with something widely recognised. It could be huge and money making if it takes off.

kryten2b

Portal Member
December 6, 2007
Hi ccMatrix, I have been using Media Renamer for a while now on XP & it has worked perfectly. I recently rebuilt my PC with Vista Ultimate & now cannot get the context menu to work.

The context menu was fine before, but now i don't get any renamer options on right-click. The renamer itself is working OK.
I also tried uninstalling 1.4b3, installing 1.3 & then re-installing 1.4b3, as i had seen in the forum that this had helped others, but no luck

Can you help please?

:confused:

:D

ccMatrix

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Hi ccMatrix, I have been using Media Renamer for a while now on XP & it has worked perfectly. I recently rebuilt my PC with Vista Ultimate & now cannot get the context menu to work.

The context menu was fine before, but now i don't get any renamer options on right-click. The renamer itself is working OK.
I also tried uninstalling 1.4b3, installing 1.3 & then re-installing 1.4b3, as i had seen in the forum that this had helped others, but no luck

Can you help please?

:confused:

:D

Hi,

try the following: Press Windows+R to open the run-dialog. Enter "cmd" and press OK. This should open the command line interface as an administrator. Navigate to the folder where you installed MediaRenamer e.g.
Code:
cd "C:\Program Files\Media Renamer"
Then run the dir command to check if the files regsvrnet.exe and MediaRenamer.dll are available in the folder.
Code:
dir
If the exist enter the following two commands. First enter:
Code:
regsvrnet.exe removeasm MediaRenamer.dll
Which should display the message "Removing Assembly MediaRenamer.dll". Then run
Code:
regsvrnet.exe installasm MediaRenamer.dll
Which should display "Registering Assembly MediaRenamer.dll".
After that please try to right-click on any file which should now display the context menu properly. I think the error comes from the new security system in windows vista which might not allow this to be run from the installation

Let me know if that worked for you. I just tried it on my Vista test system and there it worked as expected.

Benjamin

kryten2b

Portal Member
December 6, 2007
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried your suggestion, & when i tried the removeasm, i got this response:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Media Renamer>regsvrnet.exe removeasm MediaRenamer.dll
Removing Assembly MediaRenamer.dll
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an obj
ect.
   at ShellExt.MediaRenamerContextMenu.UnregisterServer(String str1)

I then used the installasm switch & got the expected response, however i still don't get the context menu. I double checked the command window & it is using administrator credentials.

I also tried removing & re-registering the other dll, but this didn't help either

I even killed all instances of explorer in task manager & then re-launched it, just in case, but this didn't help either

:(

ccMatrix

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
You said you installed 1.4b3 and then 1.3. Did you run the commands I told you with the 1.3 version ? If so could you try again with the 1.4b3 installation ?

kryten2b

Portal Member
December 6, 2007
Hi,

No it was actually the other way round:
  • uninstall 1.4b3
  • install 1.3
  • install 1.4b3

So when i tried your suggestion, i was already on 1.4b3. However, i then tried it the other way round, on 1.3
This release only had the tvshowrenamer.dll, not the mediarenamer.dll, so i tried the regsvrnet tool on that, but that didn't help.

I then re-installed 1.4b3 again & regsrnet'd both DLL's, still no luck

I also tried a full reboot (it is Windows after all ;) ) but still no luck

:(

Livin

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Benjamin
I have tried running Alpha2 but it crashes everytime...

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Exception: Creation of an instance failed. Type: Yaowi.Common.Serialization.TypeInfo Assembly: MediaRenamer, Version=2.0.2889.613, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null Cause: Assembly or Type not found. ---> System.Exception: Assembly or Type not found.
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.CreateInstance(ObjectInfo info)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.CreateInstance(ObjectInfo info)
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.GetObject(XmlNode node)
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.SetDictionaryValues(IDictionary dictionary, XmlNode parentNode)
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.SetCollectionValues(ICollection coll, XmlNode parentNode)
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.GetProperties(Object parent, XmlNode node)
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.ParseTypeDictionary(XmlNode parentNode)
at Yaowi.Common.Serialization.XmlDeserializer.Deserialize(XmlNode node)
at MediaRenamer.Common.Settings.GetValueAsArray(SettingKeys key)
at MediaRenamer.mainForm.mainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
MediaRenamer
Assembly Version: 2.0.2889.613
Win32 Version: 2.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Media%20Renamer/MediaRenamer.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
MediaRenamer
Assembly Version: 1.2.2641.7067
Win32 Version: 1.2.2641.7067
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Media%20Renamer/MediaRenamer.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom