Media server/ HTPC all in one - need some tips (2 Viewers)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    USB flash drives are extremely cheap now, so that might be an option. But I'm not sure they are fast enough to simultaneously read and write at the required rates.

Maybe it would work for time shifting one tv card, but if your setup will have multiple tv cards I really doubt a USB flash drive would be fast enough.

You could put all your static media (what I mean is, the stuff that doesn't change, like photo's, music, DVD rips) onto the same drive as the timeshifting. That way you'd only really be using either the time shifting or the other media, not both at the same time (or if you did it would be rare and music and photo's are low in size and transfer speed requirements so they shouldn't overload the drive).

My main priority would be getting the timeshifting and the recording locations on separate drives, aside from that I don't think it will matter too much if there is other data on either drive.

Cheers,

giantjoebot

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thats sort of how I have it setup on my media server as it is right now, sort off. The OS, music, and pictures are on the same drive. I also have it setup so that my bittorrent files download on the OS drive and then transfer to a large span of drives.

I do have a 40GB 4200rpm laptop drive in an external USB enclosure that I guess that I could use. It would be really easy to mount it inside the case, and connect it directly to the USB headers on the motherboard.

There are a couple of spots where I could fit another drive, but they are in places such as the floppy drive bay where the drive would be enclosed on all sides but one, and no fans blowing on it. I also have a 40GB maxtor that runs really hot, and a 80GB maxtor extra right now. I guess if I put one of those in the floppy bay, and got a USB to IDE adapter or a IDE to SATA adapter that would work, but I'm worried that the drive would fail due to heat.

Muldini

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Doh, sry, was somewhere else in my mind when posting it. Yes it's in german and the basic msg is that google did a test on influence of tempreture on HDDs.
    Result was that they feel fantastic around 40° and die earlier if under 30°.

Kind Regards,
    Muldini

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom