Media source share drill down not working (1 Viewer)

TonyR63

Portal Pro
December 1, 2015
Home Country
Australia Australia
When adding media sources I can see the network servers OK but the media portal interface plus sign is not drilling down to present the shared folders correctly. Outside of Media Portal all the shares are perfectly visible. Setting up media source is a major persistent problem and requires redesign or just plain debugging. What does one do when Media Portal will not present shared resources for selection?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    What does one do when Media Portal will not present shared resources for selection?
    Check your network setup. It is not MP2 that is to be blamed if the drill-down is not working. Did you enter the credentials in the MP2 settings? If yes, please provide full logs using the LogCollector (no "filtered" event logs please).

Outside of Media Portal all the shares are perfectly visible.
    That's unrelated. MP2 requires dedicated privileges in order to be able to access shares.

Setting up media source is a major persistent problem and requires redesign or just plain debugging.
    Speaking for myself here: I have absolutely no trouble. Whenever users reported something like this it could be traced back to network issues on the particular system.

TonyR63

Portal Pro
    December 1, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello

Thanks for the information.

Yes I had to separately set the network credentials which according to the UI is step 4 when it should be step one or the user should be prompted to enter credentials on selection of the expand plus sign. Easy once you have learned the UI however it is still weak UI design as has been feedback my many new users. You should consider testing the UI on Cold Users and they you will capture all these quirks quickly. It is not possible for those who design to see an App through the eyes of cold users.

Also wanted to ask why the whole sync of media sources is so problematic. My system syncing the music library progresses forward by slow increments and then you go back to it hours later and it is at a lower % than when you last checked. It also seem to allow the computer go into sleep mode even there is a process still running. Can the process not keep the computer awake while it is syncing or I see now way to leave it unattended? Should the user not be prompted to disable hibernation if this is a requirement?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom