Mediaportal 1.02 and further, when to end... (1 Viewer)

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi.

I was thinking in one sleepless night(kid was ill) the development process of
    any software project. Mp is reacing stable point soon. I was jus wondering if dev's have discussed when to put end constant development for Mp 1 and consentrate on Mp 2, and take a good freetime in between.

We all know there will be bugs allways minor or major. In seeable future there will be at least 1.05 of MP 1. And some of us want new features, or are not happy with current Mp 1(still using it :p). Some major bug's should of course be fixed, but at some point dev's should give themselvs free time and ease up workload. And decide This is it. MP 1 is ready. Only Major showstopper bugs are fixed now on. Features or enachements are up to community plugins.

When looking these forums demand of doing "this and that" is huge for dev's. So they are under huge pressure. Lets all remeber this is Free software. There is not many Free software projects this big(Linux(a bit bigger, yes),OpenOffice, etc...). This like linux project for HTPC.

There will be allways demands and bug fixing request, but there should be a point to make it stop and ease up a bit.

One another thing was when i was thinking about GPL. Sometimes i fear that some greedy ******* will try steal your work. Have Team checked Mp copyright's so that they are airtight. We have seen trials against Linux and another opensource software.

I dont wish you, "Keep up the good work", because you do that all the time. I wish the project members all the good, and thank them for the work so far. :D

regards,

te3hpurp

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 23, 2008
    Rovaniemi
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Well, thanks.

When this happens, it will eventually bring us better community plugins, because there won't be any breaking API changes(I hope). Currently many plugin developpers are using big time of development just just to keep plugins compatible with latest svn of MP.

When MP is in point where plugin developpers can rely that MP is not changing, they have time to let their imagination fly, and they get more and more familiar with MP and what can be done with plugins.

I don't know presentage of who is using "stable builds" and how many is using latest svn, but plugins are wanted to both anyway.

regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom