[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 (ALPHA) and MediaPortal 2 (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Great news about the progress but I'm a bit disappointed to see that we won't be able to upgrade from 1.0.2 as all the tweaking to get a reliably working system takes an age.
    It is simply way too risky.
    If we would allow an easy update, you would end up spending 5 times more time with "fixing the glitches caused by leftovers" than when doing a plain clean re-installation.

And because you allready know which settings you need for your usecase, a reinstall should be possible to be done quite fast.

Or you can just stick with 1.0.2. ;)

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Great news about the progress but I'm a bit disappointed to see that we won't be able to upgrade from 1.0.2 as all the tweaking to get a reliably working system takes an age.
    It is simply way too risky.
    If we would allow an easy update, you would end up spending 5 times more time with "fixing the glitches caused by leftovers" than when doing a plain clean re-installation.

And because you allready know which settings you need for your usecase, a reinstall should be possible to be done quite fast.

I think the most problematic one would be a rebuild of the data bases. (i.e. the movie db)
    This requires quite a lot of manual caretaking.

I hope therefore the db's can be salvaged.

Cheers

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I think the most problematic one would be a rebuild of the data bases. (i.e. the movie db)
    This requires quite a lot of manual caretaking.
    I am not sure yet if this one can be reused.
    But i will try to compile a list of data/files for 1.1.0 final release, which can be reused safely. :)

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Very much appreciated. Takes me more than a day to reconstruct the movie db from scratch.
    Ah - wait! You are talking about the final release - which would mean we are talking about end of this year. :D

thebalance

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 11, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    List of reusable files would be really useful - in fact, it might mean the hassle (and risk) of upgrade becomes viable - will the versions be able to run side by side?

Would this also involve an upgrade of tv-server as well as the client because the hassle of setup applies there too.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Would this also involve an upgrade of tv-server as well as the client because the hassle of setup applies there too.
    The TV-Server db might be upgradeable (at least looks like that atm.).
    The big problem with the upgrade is inside MediaPortal.

yhoogi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 9, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The TV-Server db might be upgradeable (at least looks like that atm.).
    The big problem with the upgrade is inside MediaPortal.

I hope so, as this is my other area of concern:
    There are some isssues to find DVB-S2 channels on specific Transponders with the FloppyDTV (i.e. Premiere HD; No Signal).
    So far the only workable solution I found was to use the last SVN of 1.0.0 and upgrade afterwards with the settings directly to 1.0.2 - Don't ask me why, but since then I am using this approach and had no issues anymore.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    How are you guys handling the whole directshow versus media foundation? Or have you though about it yet?

remb0

Portal Pro
    April 2, 2009
    when can we post our ideas for the new version..?

I have a lot of great ideas for the new version, about:
    update system, modular options, language files, skin ideas, search functions, codec options.

maybe you can open a version 2 forum where we can put our ideas into a structur. and give the users/skinners/developers the option to offer his skills yo everyone can get tasks. ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom