[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 ALPHA - Released (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As MySQL 5 is now the default database engine - does it make sense to switch from MSSQL to MySQL? In the past it was sometimes problematic cause most of the devs used MSSQL and so some things were more optimized for MSSQL than MySQL.
    Right now there are no differences in MP between MySQL and MSSQL.
    So if you allready run MS SQL, there is no need to switch.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    mhm ok have to think about it. Don't like MSSQL :) But it was the preferred one in the past.

flokel

Portal Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 11, 2005
    Unterfranken
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MySQL is now the default db server as it is much easier to deploy on Win7 as MsSQL.
    Therefore I see no reason to switch ;)

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

Unfortunately it is not a small change that is required. Both client and server sides are requiring changes on pretty low level. Gemx is busy and I personally don't use multiseat so there are really low changes it getting fixed (I would say that ever).

I'm hoping that someone in the commynity (who uses multiseat) will provide a patch on someday.

tatus

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    just one more question, because this not really the right thread for this topic... On a single-seat installation, are the TV server and MP communicating through any other channel than TCPIP sockets? If yes (I assume, otherwise I dont't see the differenct to multi-seat), would it be worth "cleaning" this up?

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    But why don´t use MSSQL 2005 Express there were never any Problems deploying that on Windows 7 or better said i had never any problems :D Do we realy need MSSQL 2008 Express? I had often problems when trying to install MySQL on a machine where MySQL has been installed before. Seems that the deinstallation of MySQL is not cleaning up correctly. After deleting many registry entries i was able to make a working installation again. But i think many other aren´t able to do that and there are others that shouln´t do that :D
    But i can confirm the problems with MSSQL 2008 Express on Windows 7 i wasn´t ever able to install it on Windows 7. And i tried it nights long. Why? Well we all know, there is a never version i´m SURE that i need it :D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    But why don´t use MSSQL 2005 Express there were never any Problems deploying that on Windows 7
    • MS SQL 2005 Express is not Windows 7 compatible
    • MS SQL 2008 Express is not Windows 7 compatible

In both cases, Windows 7 even tells you that when starting the installer.

The only MS SQL Exress Server which does support Windows 7 and does not suffer of known compatibillity issues is MS SQL 2008 Express SP1.

And this one is a bitch to automatically deploy on Windows 7 (try it, we spend many hours with it :) ).

Win7

March 5, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @infinityloop

Strange have never seen that message! I´m always using the MSSQL Express Server but it may be that i allways set the mssql setup to run in vista compatibility mode. Because the MediaPortal Builds before MP 1.0.2 didn´t install without beeing set in compatibility mode. Therefore i extracted the content of the downloaded mediaporta-setup and set the MediaPortal.DeployTool, package-mediaportal and the package-tvengine to run in vista compatibility mode. While doing that it is possible that i set the mssql setup even to run in vista compatibility mode. After the installation i also had never problems with the mssql 2005 express ok the tvguide is a bit slow if you have sheduled about 160 recordings but mysql wasn´t faster with that much scheduled recordings :D Maybe there should be some sort of caching be implemented but i can´t imagine how that should work in a multi seat setup! I tried using the mssql 2008 express sp1 but copying and renaming it in the deploy folder of the extracted mediaportal setup wasn´t the solution :D

By the way thanks for that same recording and same timeshifting folder for all tvcards buttons. I hated it to set the some folders manualy for all cards after setup. No Problem with two tvcards but if you have eight it´s a bit annoying :D

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    @infinityloop
    By the way thanks for that same recording and same timeshifting folder for all tvcards buttons. I hated it to set the some folders manualy for all cards after setup. No Problem with two tvcards but if you have eight it´s a bit annoying :D

That one was a community patch (by framug). But a nice little feature for those of us with a lot of tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom