[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Is this the complete issue list?

View Issues - MediaPortal Bugtracker
    Only for one project.

Top right corner of the page "Project:" to switch between them.

Hi there, can anyone confirm if there are plans for a new SVN before official release of 1.1.0 RC1 ?
    There will be at least one more before the RC1 release to see if things are working correctly.
    No date.

I really don't get why there is a RC roadmap, and a final roadmap.
    Because the roadmap is linked to the changelog.
    So when you look at the RC1 changelog, then you know what has been fixed between Beta 1 and RC1.
    If there is an RC2, then this procedure ensures that the changelog shows you what was done between RC1 and RC2.
    Otherwise it would just be one loooooooong list, and it would be very hard o find out which change was introduces in which release.

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Because the roadmap is linked to the changelog..

I think he means there are open problems for 1.10 final (and not RC1), should they not be targeted to be fixed for RC1? As you would hope this was an attempt at a fully working bug free build.
    (this is not meant as a dig either :))

Rich

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005

I think he means there are open problems for 1.10 final (and not RC1), should they not be targeted to be fixed for RC1? As you would hope this was an attempt at a fully working bug free build.

In that case please call the RC1 as beta2, problem solved :D RC1 is just something where almost all issues are fixed and with the RC build we get much wider audience for the testing, to make sure no new issues have been introduced during bug fixing.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria

Rich
    While it would be awesome to have mantis empty when releasing an RC, this is far away from the reality.
    No company in the world is able to release RC's (or even final! builds) with an empty tracker - neither are we :(.

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Rich
    While it would be awesome to have mantis empty when releasing an RC, this is far away from the reality.
    No company in the world is able to release RC's (or even final! builds) with an empty tracker - neither are we :(.
    Sure, I do really appreciate your work.
    Rich

zeebee

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 10, 2007
    AW: MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed

The latest SVN works very well for me. Fast zapping, working power scheduler and no bugs yet. I really look forward to RC1 / 1.1 final!

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Re: AW: MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed

The latest SVN works very well for me. Fast zapping, working power scheduler and no bugs yet. I really look forward to RC1 / 1.1 final!
    The feedback (bugreports WITH logs) did help us a lot allready to nail a few more issues.

RC1 is on a good way now, but no date yet.

Hetfield

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland

Rich
    Sure, I do really appreciate your work.
    Rich

I think the point was that when you release RC1, all the known errors which you plan to fix for 1.1 final should be fixed. After RC1 only errors which are found after release of RC1 will be fixed in RC2 or final. I think that's the way this kind of official releases usually work? If you plan to fix more, it's not actually a release candidate. With BETA-releases sheduling known errors or upcoming features to next beta(s) sounds to be OK, but with a release candidate it sounds strange. Just a detail or opinion about project management.

By the way, this SVN works quite well, only major issue I see is the "skipsteps not working in multiseat", which is scheduled for 1.1 final. Also some problems with DVD playback, but also that works better than ever before.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I think the point was that when you release RC1, all the known errors which you plan to fix for 1.1 final should be fixed. After RC1 only errors which are found after release of RC1 will be fixed in RC2 or final. I think that's the way this kind of official releases usually work? If you plan to fix more, it's not actually a release candidate. With BETA-releases sheduling known errors or upcoming features to next beta(s) sounds to be OK, but with a release candidate it sounds strange. Just a detail or opinion about project management.

In theory it is true, but in practice we get better test coverage when we call it as RC1 and not a beta 2. It is just how the human nature / mind works :)

Also some problems with DVD playback, but also that works better than ever before.

Please open a bug report with as much information since there is currently no known issues in the DVD playback (at least not listed in Mantis).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom