[News] MediaPortal 1.1.0 RC1 - delayed (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Thats why it is an unexpected delay, it was..unexpected!

They announced 1.1 fully believing it would be ready within a short time, they did not realise there would be a delay, so even if they did "announce 2 weeks before" as you suggest, had they hit an issue, then that 2 weeks might have turned into months.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Thats why it is an unexpected delay, it was..unexpected!

They announced 1.1 fully believing it would be ready within a short time, they did not realise there would be a delay, so even if they did "announce 2 weeks before" as you suggest, had they hit an issue, then that 2 weeks might have turned into months.
    thats pretty much spot on what happened.

for your information.
    we are currently in the process of testing release builds of 1.1.0 RC1 (still facing some small issues we need to resolve - mainly installer related).
    As soon as one build/package passes our internal testing, 1.1.0 RC1 will go public.

but i can not guarantee that this will be this weekend. :sorry:

crazyfool

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    On the subject of installation every time I have installed a new release of mp from pre 1.x days I have always reinstalled windows or restored the disk to a state prior to mp being installed. However as said before it is a little annoying having to spend a day reinstalling windows, installing apps etc... just to use the new mp release. I was just wondering is all of this really necerssary or is mp at a stage where I can just uninstall it and then install the new one (obviously configure it etc...) and be done, without worrying about anything which may have been left over and cause instabilty. Reinstalling the OS is a pain, especially because I forget settings I may have changed and spend ages trying to work out why things aren't working like before.
    Btw this isn't a criticism, you guys go great work and I am very happy with the 1.0.2 release so I can happily wait for 1.1 RC1

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    On the subject of installation every time I have installed a new release of mp from pre 1.x days I have always reinstalled windows or restored the disk to a state prior to mp being installed. However as said before it is a little annoying having to spend a day reinstalling windows, installing apps etc... just to use the new mp release.
    You are reinstalling windows _just_ to install a new MP release?
    That is overkill. And by far not required (unless you broke your system by installing a zillion codecs) :)

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    On the subject of installation every time I have installed a new release of mp from pre 1.x days I have always reinstalled windows or restored the disk to a state prior to mp being installed. However as said before it is a little annoying having to spend a day reinstalling windows, installing apps etc... just to use the new mp release. I was just wondering is all of this really necerssary or is mp at a stage where I can just uninstall it and then install the new one (obviously configure it etc...) and be done, without worrying about anything which may have been left over and cause instabilty. Reinstalling the OS is a pain, especially because I forget settings I may have changed and spend ages trying to work out why things aren't working like before.
    Btw this isn't a criticism, you guys go great work and I am very happy with the 1.0.2 release so I can happily wait for 1.1 RC1
    Personally I think that is a step too far. I usually completely uninstall, re-boot and then install the newer version. I have timed complete Windows re-installs to coincide with a MP release, but that's just to save two separate evenings installing software.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Personally I think that is a step too far. I usually completely uninstall, re-boot and then install the newer version. I have timed complete Windows re-installs to coincide with a MP release, but that's just to save two separate evenings installing software.
    *no offence*
    but i just noticed his nickname. :D

claus14

Portal Member
    October 1, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Hi crazyfool, I think I have the solution for you. When I bought the motherboard for my HTPC, I chose Gigabyte. I later found that most of their MB (if not all) have a feature called Xpress Recovery 2. This allows somebody to reinstall Windows in less than 10 minutes. I have Windows XP Pro with SP3 and all the updates and every time I would like to reinstall MediaPortal, I use that feature. Usually, it takes about 8 minutes for my computer to be restored to a fully activated version of Windows, with all the updates. This feature needs you to leave some space unallocated on the hard-drive, when you install Windows for the first time. For my Windows XP, I left 15 Gb unallocated space on HDD, for Xpress Recovery 2, but I only needed about 10 Gb. When you're done with windows install, you can create an image of the C partition, DIRECTLY FROM BIOS. You don't need any kind of software to crate image of the C drive, you cand do it directly from bios, as I said. Hope this helps some other people, too.

crazyfool

Portal Pro
    October 8, 2008
    *no offence*
    lol:D
    The main reason I did this before was because I was constantly tweaking the pc (also known as breaking it) and I could never get it back to how it was so I had to restore the image to a clean pc. This was also when MP was pretty buggy (at least for me) so everytime a new release came out I reinstalled everything in case something broke so I'd know it wasn't anything other than mp. Guess I don't have to do that anymore:)
    Keep up the good work guys, looking forward to MP 1.1

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I always reinstall Windows when I'm installing a new release on MP aswel, well not really install, but I reload an image of a fresh installation, just to be sure. It's not as if it takes that long to do it. But then I always seem to fill it with crap like SopCast and TVAnts etc.

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    *no offence*
    lol:D
    The main reason I did this before was because I was constantly tweaking the pc (also known as breaking it) and I could never get it back to how it was so I had to restore the image to a clean pc. This was also when MP was pretty buggy (at least for me) so everytime a new release came out I reinstalled everything in case something broke so I'd know it wasn't anything other than mp. Guess I don't have to do that anymore:)
    Keep up the good work guys, looking forward to MP 1.1
    What OS are you using?

W7 installs really quickly, mainly becuase it doesn't need a million updates to get it going, but it also generally installes quicker, especially from a USB memory stick. Also includes a pretty good backup and imaging tool so you can re install the image on a blank drive from a network share and the install CD. Clever stuff.

Anyway, going OT here :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom