MediaPortal 1.5 and HDHomerun Prime (1 Viewer)

LindaT

November 25, 2013
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just got a new laptop last week with Windows 8.1. After putting out the money for the Windows Pro Pack to get WMC I find that it has issues. When trying to watch TV I get the dreaded playback device does not support...
So I decided to look at MediaPort. I've downloaded MediaPort 1.5 and have it installed. I have the correct beta version of HDHomerun firmware. In HDHomerun Setup my tuners are seen and I have channels. I go to MediaPortal TV Server Configuration and am kind of at a loss. It lists 5 possibilities under my server, a RadioWebStream, DVB-IP, and my 3 HDHomeRun Prime tuners. Do I use the default ATSC Digital Terrestrial tuning mode for the HDHomeRun tuners or some other? I have tried a number of times to scan and it takes forever but does show channels. However, none seem to have a signal and if I try a preview it says all cards busy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome LindaT :)

I recommend you follow the setup instructions here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/

Start from "At this point you should see one or more CableCARD tuners...".

To directly answer some of your questions:
    I go to MediaPortal TV Server Configuration and am kind of at a loss. It lists 5 possibilities under my server, a RadioWebStream, DVB-IP, and my 3 HDHomeRun Prime tuners.
    Good. :)
    So you can ignore the radio web stream and DVB-IP (IPTV) tuners and focus on the PRIME tuners.

Do I use the default ATSC Digital Terrestrial tuning mode for the HDHomeRun tuners or some other?
    No. Terrestrial means over the air. You'd use that if you had an aerial. CableCARD tuners are for receiving cable TV... so use the "digital cable" option.

I have tried a number of times to scan and it takes forever but does show channels.
    I suggest you start over with the instructions I linked above. You should expect a digital cable scan to take about 5 minutes. It will appear to do nothing for quite some time... and then all the channels will be listed.

However, none seem to have a signal and if I try a preview it says all cards busy.
    I'd expect these problems will go away if you follow the instructions. If they re-occur, please post log files as described here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/3_Forums/2_Log_Files

Thanks,
    mm
    :)

LindaT

November 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Thanks so much for your reply. I had searched on ATSC Terrestrial to see what the heck that was with no luck but it came up as the default for my HomeRun tuners. Would it be best to uninstall and start from scratch?[DOUBLEPOST=1385427825][/DOUBLEPOST]I went ahead and removed all channels, then followed the instructions you provided and I got my channels returned within a short period of time. I then mapped the channels to my other 2 tuners. Thanks so much for your help. Appreciate it.

Last edited:

JABUKI

December 12, 2013
    Home Country
    I'm new to MP as well, however I feel like I've followed the cablecard instructions going from "Continuing with configuration..." because it's mp1.5. MP is able to see 522 channels and I mapped all available to all 3 tuners. it's when I get to "testing channels" that I have a problem. The testing channels fails on all the channels. when I go to manual control the record button is grayed out and the timeshift fails with unknown error. When I first ran MP it simply gave me no available tuner error and I'm pretty sure that was from the test channel filling up all my tuners, but it also doesn't have epg data for my channels either. Now when I run MP the tv just gives me unkown error. Watching the hdhomerun config gui to monitor the tuners I can see it tuning them when I manually control timeshift as well as when running the test channels. however in the test channels the tuners aren't changing channels the tuners just stay on the first channels tested. it also doesn't close the tuners so they stay open and occupied.

Mp tv server is set up on my main htpc windows 7 ultimate 64bit and it also has wmc set up and working with my prime for xbox 360 extender. I would really like to get MP rocking on all my computers but especially need it as a wmc alternative for my win8.1 computers.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome JABUKI :)

Your logs are helpful - thanks! :)
    So I can see that scanning appears to have worked well for you, but as you say: tuning not so good.

Two problems:
    Host Firmware = HDHR3-CC 20130528

As indicated at the top of the post:
    The following CableCARD tuners have been tested and are compatible:
    • Silicondust HDHomeRun PRIME*
    • Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCIe
    • Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH
    *Latest beta firmware required.

...and in our wiki here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_..._System/01_Supported_TV_Cards#Supported_Cards

...you need newer firmware. At least 20130708beta 1 is required. You can get the latest beta firmware from here:
    http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2484

In the logs this is identified by the following:
    [collapse][2013-12-12 16:04:27,958] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - dvb: RunGraph returns: 0xFFFFFFFE
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,959] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeSubChannel: subchannels count 1 subch#1
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,959] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - DVB subch:1 Decompose()
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,965] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - FreeSubChannel CA: freeing sub channel : 1
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,965] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeSubChannel : no subchannels present, pausing graph
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,980] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:topGraph called
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,981] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - tvcard:FreeAllSubChannels
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,981] [Log ] [11 ] [INFO ] - dvb:confused:topGraph filterstate already stopped, returning.
    [2013-12-12 16:04:27,982] [Log ] [11 ] [ERROR] - Exception :TvLibrary.TvException: Unable to start graph
    at TvLibrary.Implementations.DVB.TvCardDvbBase.RunGraph(Int32 subChannel)[/collapse]

Second problem: tuners 1 and 3 appear to be in use in other software.
    [collapse]
    [2013-12-12 16:04:26,029] [Log ] [35 ] [INFO ] - subch:14 OnBeforeTune
    [2013-12-12 16:04:26,030] [Log ] [35 ] [DEBUG] - DRI CC: tuning...
    [2013-12-12 16:04:26,044] [Log ] [35 ] [INFO ] - DRI CC: tuning failed, removing subchannel
    [2013-12-12 16:04:26,045] [Log ] [35 ] [ERROR] - Exception :UPnP.Infrastructure.CP.UPnPException: Error invoking action 'SetChannel' ---> UPnP.Infrastructure.CP.UPnPRemoteException: Tuner In Use[/collapse]

So TV Server is only trying with tuner 2, which is failing due to the firmware issue.

mm

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I meant to say...

...when I go to manual control the record button is grayed out...
    That is normal. The record button is un-grayed when timeshifting is successfully started.

timeshift fails with unknown error.
    This is caused by the two issues mentioned above.

When I first ran MP it simply gave me no available tuner error and I'm pretty sure that was from the test channel filling up all my tuners...
    No available tuner would be if TV Server thought it was using all your tuners, or if none of the tuners had been detected. I think this may be a "red herring"... but let's see what happens after you upgrade the firmware.

...but it also doesn't have epg data for my channels either.
    That is normal. Microsoft pays to get EPG data for WMC; with MP, you have a few options:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/13_Setup_Guides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)

Some (like mc2xml + the XMLTV plugin) are free.

mm

JABUKI

December 12, 2013
    Home Country
    Thank you very much for your help and truly awesome support. TV is working now. Now to sort out the different epg and metadata options to turn mediaportal into the snazzy media center it can be.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    That's fantastic! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom