[News] MediaPortal 2.0 Alpha - RELEASED (1 Viewer)

ThaClown

Moderator - Dutch Forums
May 28, 2006
Den Bosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Great idea, would this be possible? I can create some great skins in HTML, CSS....

TiboTv

Portal Pro
June 22, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
Hi! Great work! Future is on the road! ;) Unfortunately not in my house! I've no Win7 running at the moment! :oops:

Is the upnp client/server protocol already in place? I hope that one day I could use MP as a server for my upnp devices.

andrees

Portal Member
February 10, 2011
Great idea, would this be possible? I can create some great skins in HTML, CSS....

Hi

I see you are a team member. Maybe you can tell those who are involved in developing MediaPortal about the idea of ​​HTML5 client? Then they can see if it is possible? And a HTML5 client will run on any operating system with a browser that support HTML5 (y)

hafblade

Portal Pro
January 19, 2011
Trier, Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
I had this idea several times in my head but in my opinion this isn't really possible.
Even with HTML 5 there will no real standard codecs be implemented in the browsers.
Every browser uses its own codecs and every browser can only show some specific types of videos.
Even the audio playback isn't really standardized. So some browser are natively capable of mp3 some can only play ogg.
Furthermore every browser has its own implementation standards.

Furthermore it makes it much more complicated to create a great user experience when using a remote or when you want to use it as a real htpc software.
Browser based media coverage is perhaps cool on a desktop pc but not for a htpc. Even if I really like the idea of having everything in my brother.

I'm a Java Web Developer and I thought sometime about it but even if I would have the technical possibilities (without different browser problems etc.) I wouldn't have the time :p

andrees

Portal Member
February 10, 2011
I had this idea several times in my head but in my opinion this isn't really possible.
Even with HTML 5 there will no real standard codecs be implemented in the browsers.
Every browser uses its own codecs and every browser can only show some specific types of videos.
Even the audio playback isn't really standardized. So some browser are natively capable of mp3 some can only play ogg.
Furthermore every browser has its own implementation standards.

Furthermore it makes it much more complicated to create a great user experience when using a remote or when you want to use it as a real htpc software.
Browser based media coverage is perhaps cool on a desktop pc but not for a htpc. Even if I really like the idea of having everything in my brother.

I'm a Java Web Developer and I thought sometime about it but even if I would have the technical possibilities (without different browser problems etc.) I wouldn't have the time :p

Ok, I understand -it was just a idea.
Otherwise, I appreciate the work you do and I look forward to MediaPortal 2 is fully developed :)

UNOPARATOR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 19, 2007
    Istanbul
    Home Country
    Turkey Turkey
    I'm a bit disappointed after I tried MP2 Alpha.
    Because the same approach (a mistake in my opinion) is done with the string comparisons as MP1 once were, which is comparing values with each other using .ToLower() instead .ToLowerInvariant() (I haven't checked MP2's code but it sure looks like this since I encountered the same thing with MP1 during v0.2.0 which I provided a fix at that time). Filesystem operations and skin engine does not work correctly with this approach (try to run MP2 with Turkish (Turkey) Regional Settings and you'll see). I've had submitted a patch for this issue in MP1 and even talked to Albert 1-1,5 years ago about the problem, and that's why I'm a bit disappointed to see that MP2 has gone a step back... (I know it is still in alpha stage but still)

After changing my regional settings to English (United States) in order to see what fully working MP2 looks like, my frustration started to pass.
    PiP really looks nice, and the overall feel of MP2 is quite good for an alpha. So thank you for all your hard work & time!!!

Another small issue I noticed is that input fields (textbox or whatever you call 'em in skin) can not show some Turkish characters, it may be because of the font that is in use with the default skin - I don't know.

alexchini

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 30, 2006
    Venice
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Yesterday i did dome test with my mediaportal PC/new disk/win7 64 + MP2 well i can say that as an alpha is really stable TV with pip working really great and never crashed the only wrong thing i found its that often need time to change from full screen tv to tv guide view.
    The new menu layout is really interesting, didn't found any main bug yet so really great work.

FuzzyBear

Portal Member
    February 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I waited so long for the first MP 2.0 release: now it is for Windows 7 only.
    Is there any chance to get Windows Vista compatability soon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom