[News] MediaPortal 2.0 Alpha - RELEASED (1 Viewer)

Vimes

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 19, 2009
    Earth, for now
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It's hard to understand why people are still using vista and xp ;)

I can see the winky but, apart from the thread will get a little derailed, why would you think that...?
    The only reason that my father in law changed from XP to Windows 7 is that it came pre installed on his laptop. Unfortunately Windows XP will not run on it and this has forced him to get rid of his fully working Genus scanner and separate printer as there are no 64bit drivers for those devices.
    Then can be many "compelling" reasons for some people to change to Windows 7 but there are others who would question the need to change just for change sake with no perceivable advantage.
    In the context of an HTPC I find that XBMC runs perfectly well when on Linux, XP, Vista, Windows 7 or even the Windows 8 preview. In that situation surely the OS, from the end users perspective, is merely a conduit to facilitate the watching of TV and thus the age of the OS does not matter.?

hafblade

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2011
    Trier, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    First of all it's much easier to implement many things with the new .net frameworks etc then with older releases.
    Second a developer can make use of many new features which may be hard to implement for xp like for example libraries functionality or similar new features in win 7 / vista.
    Furthermore some other software (not only mediaportal 2) only works correctly with new windows versions (for example some anti virus software).
    Than the support of old windows versions won't last forever and Microsoft will not release new updates for old versions in the near future.

I know the problem with some hardware not running on Windows 7 especially 64bit but this hardware normally is some years old. I also know that noone wants to throw away hardware only because of a new Windows 7 release but be honest. With Win7 the most Mediaportal systems run much better. There are better codecs the program runs faster and only for these things I would change to Windows 7. Than Win7 is much more comfortable than XP. Everyone who says something different stays only with xp cause he doesn't want to try something new.

I know what you want to say because like almost everyone here on the forum I had these problems too. But in the normal case everyone who uses Win7 for longer than some months imho doesn't want to switch back.

You are right that tools like XBMC run on every platform but hey this is a some kind of old software exactly like mp 1. It uses old frameworks and old standards. MediaPortal 2 is compared to this a completely new software. It uses new technologies (for gods sake) and it will be released in lets say 6-18 months. Until this time Windows 8!!! will perhaps be released. It's 4 versions newer than XP. Until this time XP and Vista support could almost be run out. Which means no more updates no more support for these. Why should the MP2 team develop for these when they want to create something modern, fast and cool thing? ;)

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
    January 21, 2010
    Braunschweig
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    People still just use xp because they have it running. Though I can tell, that switching to Win7 really gives advantages in many areas as I just switched from xp to W7 some month ago and I am totally satisfied with it.

Dang, didn't see the other two posts...

SpudR

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 27, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Home Country
    England England
    I bet there are still people using Floppy Disks, 56k modems and Co-Axial network cards - should MP2 support them too??
    :ROFLMAO:

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    I bet there are still people using Floppy Disks, 56k modems and Co-Axial network cards - should MP2 support them too??

Yes please! I've been waiting for these to be supported for years... and whilst we're at it, can we get support for microfiche, punched cards, and wax cylinders?

Mind you, it takes me bloody ages these days to load up an HD film.

BillyTheFish

Portal Pro
    September 5, 2008
    Home Country
    Oh god, I want to try this so bad, but I'm too affraid to go on Alpha, with a girlfriend who is on maternity leave.

Congratulations!

Hmm.. tricky.... I'm in a similar situation with a girlfriend about to go on maternity leave.

I'm leaving it as is for now, much safer that way.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    Congrats.

You can install MP2 on a system with MP1 installed and it won't interfere with your existing settings.

Installing MP2 has no more impact on your MP1 than installing any other completely unrelated software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom