MediaPortal 2.1 Pre released! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callumgw

Portal Pro
June 2, 2008
Home Country
I've been on MP1 since about v0.7, so that has been some time now. I guess I expected an announcement (with some fanfare) that Mp2 was ready for mainstream use.
Thanks again.
C

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Release news on homepage were not sufficient? Plus three threads in forum:whistle:;)

Callumgw

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2008
    Home Country
    I read the release notes each time, but don't remember it ever saying "ready for prime time! You can now reliably upgrade from MP1".
    I just clicked through to the download for MP (everything before that looks like MP1) and saw the words "MP2 is already usable and stable. But of course it is being developed and improved further." So I guess I missed that.
    Either way, I'll give it a try.
    Thx
    C

Callumgw

Portal Pro
    June 2, 2008
    Home Country
    Thx, I understand the pre-release concept. I'll be trying the latest full release.
    C

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    MediaPortal 2.1 "Pre Release"

MP 2.1 Pre-Release is a pre-release of 2.1, not the pre-release of MediaPortal 2.

I can see where @Callumgw is coming from here to be honest and I have felt the same. There has been a massive amount of work done to MP2 (thanks guys), but there has never been a fanfare announcement that clearly states "THIS IS A PRODUCTION READY SYSTEM", so I have personally stayed clear (also, mainly because MP1 works really well for me and my wife and kids will kill me if I break it ;))

If I track back through the announcements, I find that the MP2 10thAE release said that it was a "This release is a "pre-beta" version". Since then, (ignoring the odd minor update), there have been two key releases (before 2.1 Pre-Release), namely "MediaPortal 2 "Spring of '16" Release", and "MediaPortal 2 - Summer '15 Release". Neither of these press releases made a statement that they system had transitioned to production ready. IMHO, seeing a 2.1 Pre-Release was the first indication that the team was now working from a fully stable product.

For me, one key sign that it was a production system, would be that all the prerequisite software was automatically installed by the deploy tool. However, even in the Spring '16 release, the news release states "Before installing MediaPortal 2, please make sure all the prerequisites are met". However, digging into the Wiki, it says "Note: Builds newer than the Summer'15 Edition are based on a new installer which automatically downloads and installs all requirements above!".

Also, when you click on the "Products" on the website, it doesn't differentiate between MP1 and MP2, it just shows MP1 screenshots. The comparison table is only under the download tab, which almost infers that MP2 is still under development - "MP2 is already usable and stable" makes it sound like it isn't finished.

I don't mean to sound critical, but I suppose what I am saying, is that I can see how people get the impression that MP2 is still in some form of beta, and that these sorts of questions get asked. I think it needs better sign-posting. (runs away and hides)...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For me, one key sign that it was a production system, would be that all the prerequisite software was automatically installed by the deploy tool.
    Which is the case. The current news explicitely say The installer will automatically download any missing components and install them.

However, even in the Spring '16 release, the news release states...
    Why would one take the Spring 16 release news rather than the current one to make a judgement?

Also, when you click on the "Products" on the website, it doesn't differentiate between MP1 and MP2, it just shows MP1 screenshots.
    You know, there is only that much a single person can do. As a former team member you are aware that you can edit these pages - and even if you can't, @high would certainly not hesitate a split of a second to grant you access when it comes to editing outdated information.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Why would one take the Spring 16 release news rather than the current one to make a judgement?

I was just trying to make the point that some of the announcements over time have not clearly stated the transition from pre-beta / beta / released versions of MP2, and so to the outsider (even someone who is a retired team member), it is not obvious that MP2 is a production ready system.

You know, there is only that much a single person can do. As a former team member you are aware that you can edit these pages - and even if you can't, @high would certainly not hesitate a split of a second to grant you access when it comes to editing outdated information.

I completely agree, and I am not criticising anyone within Team MediaPortal, or any of their efforts. All I just wanting to flag up my thoughts.

Anyway, I shouldn't have really posted those thoughts on this thread, I just thought that @Callumaw had a reasonable point. Moving back to the purpose of the thread - Good work to all those involved in releasing another iteration of a bit of Open Source software which I personally love, and have had many many years of enjoyment from.

spachti

Portal Pro
    July 27, 2005
    Bible Belt
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Anyway, I shouldn't have really posted those thoughts on this thread, I just thought that @Callumaw had a reasonable point. .

May I politely disagree.
    I think it is important to point out that there "might be" confusing information about the progress. Not everybody is in "the loop" or follows the forum as closely as involved people do.

gru

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Big thx for this release!(y) I'm really excited to test it the next days/weeks.
    But what i didn't figured out so far is how the configuration of onlinevideos is working? All via MP2 GUI?
    Where can i enter my credentials for Amazon Prime DE? :confused:
    Best regards, Jo

Edit/Update:
    Found it myself -> pushing the "i" button on MCE remote on the Amazon Prime siteicon exposes it :whistle:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom